Visiting the hair salon

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Lernica

Visiting the hair salon

Post by Lernica »

How do you manage getting your hair cut/styled/coloured without sitting???
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
TracyB7777

Re: Visiting the hair salon

Post by TracyB7777 »

Luckily I have a 6+ foot hairdresser. :) I make sure my hair is washed, clean and dry before I go in so I don't have to sit to have it washed. I used to LOVE having my hair washed but just can't deal with the pain anymore. I've done a variety of things to get through the appointment. I raise myself up with my elbows on the arm of the chair and push up with my feet too. Very awkward so the next thing we are trying is for me to kneel on a regular chair. (Kills my knees but much better than trying to sit!!) You could even ask your hairdresser to use a step stool while you stand in front of them.

Good Luck!!
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
nyt

Post by nyt »

I bring an ice pack to sit on that way I can sit about 30 minutes and I take a little extra pain medication (1/4-1/2 tab). I remind the woman who cuts my hair that I can't sit for too long. Fortunately, it rarely takes more than 45 minutes to wash, cut and dry my hair. I have really curly hair, ringlets, plus I am extremely lazy when it comes to doing anything to it so I always ask the hairdresser to give me an easy simple cut to deal with ie wash and gel, that is the extent of my routine.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

I bring my cushion and grit my teeth.

Emily B.
Last edited by Emily B on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I have above-the-shoulder curly but straightened blonde (-ish) hair. I have learned to schedule the coloring and the cutting at different sessions, usually two weeks apart. I can't believe I used to sit for three hours straight. But the sitting pain has been getting worse and I'm really having a hard time thinking about sitting for the hour it takes to cut and dry my hair. I'm thinking of kneeling on the chair backwards (i.e. facing the back of the chair). Bad for the knees, I know. My hairdresser is a busy pro and I can't imagine her standing on a stool and moving it around me as she goes. She's short, to boot.

Washing my hair at home is a good idea but then it will probably be dry by the time I get to the salon and plus my hairdresser won't cut it dry. Plus I do love the hairwash and the salon shampoos. Sigh. I guess at some point vanity will have to give way.

Thanks again.

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Lernica

Its important to keep up your image but at the risk of causing more pain is it worth sitting for too long?
i have my hairdresser come to my home and she cuts my hair dry, then applies the colour, i have shoulder length hair which is now blonde....I kneel while she applies the colur then do my chores and then wash it off myself and dry it whenever I like or leave it to dry itself...i have wavy hair.The wonderful thing about getting my hairdresser to come to me is that i can plan my meds and ice around her arrival...and that it costs much less...if i choose to have her dry my hair on specal occasions i sit on an ice pack....! We do need to keep up our image regardless of the pain but the World doesnt need to know about it!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

I've been thinking about the salon thing. I think your best bet would be to ask your stylist what solutions she can come up with. If she can't really come up with any ideas, ask her if she knows of any other stylists who have worked with disabled clients in the past. Just be honest with her and see what you two can come up with.

You don't have to go into details about your condition if you dont' want to. You can keep it simple by saying that you have extreme nerve pain when you sit.

Emily B.
GraceUnderFire

Post by GraceUnderFire »

I don't go. I have not had my hair cut or highlighted since the day before my hysterectomy, June 16, 2008. I cannot sit at all without pain so I save my "sits" for necessities. Needless to say my hair is ridiculously long now, but I put it in a pony tail or bun or "updo" of some sort most of the time. Of course my husband is thrilled. I think he must have Rapunzel fantasies :lol:

I cannot wait to go back to the hairdresser someday!!!!

Grace :)
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

GraceUnderFire wrote:I don't go. I have not had my hair cut or highlighted since the day before my hysterectomy, June 16, 2008. I cannot sit at all without pain so I save my "sits" for necessities. Needless to say my hair is ridiculously long now, but I put it in a pony tail or bun or "updo" of some sort most of the time. Of course my husband is thrilled. I think he must have Rapunzel fantasies :lol:

I cannot wait to go back to the hairdresser someday!!!!

Grace :)
Actually I was thinking that just letting it grow long so you could have it trimmed standing up, might be a way for women to cope with it. Of course that's not so great for somebody who is new and who has a short cut that would take a long time to grow out.

Maybe an answer is to have a driver and take some extra Valium beforehand? I don't have a complicated hairstyle or any coloring anymore, but I do empathize with the desire to look your best, whether you can still go to work or not.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
TinyDancer

Post by TinyDancer »

I haven't gone to a hair salon for 6 years. It is also long and I trim it up myself. That's easy because my hair is very, very wavy and no one can tell if I miss a little. I can't stand to style my hair for the half hour that it takes, so pig tails are my new style. On a 62 year old it's not very flattering.

Kate
Surgery with Dr. Micheal Hibner March 14, 2011
Am 85% better in only 5 months and so grateful to Dr. Hibner
THIS FORUM ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS!!!
My thanks to all of you.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”