cost of Lidocaine ointment & insurance coverage

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
quilter

cost of Lidocaine ointment & insurance coverage

Post by quilter »

For those who use compounded lidocaine ointment, can I ask the cost and if your insurance pays ny portion?

I previously used 5?% lidocaine ointment, 90 gm (packaged in two 30-gm for home and two 15-gm tubes for purse), rather than a single jar for the sake of convenience and sterility. None of my insurance plans have ever contributed, though interestingly they've always kicked in something for compounded suppositories (the past few years Valium/Baclofen - I get 48 for $39). Currently I use 7% lidocaine with 0.5% Bupivicaine for vulvar irritation, fortunately less than needed before my last PN surgery. The cost just keeps going up (currently $99.50 cash price for 90 gm). The pharmacist didn't raise the price when Bupivicaine was added or the % of lidocine increased. We have only 3 compounding pharmacies in the entire county, all are a 25-45-minute drive one way, and this is the cheapest. I have a hard time believing that two drugs that have existed for decades cost so much.

If you've gotten insurance to contribute, what's required? Thanks!
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
ezer

Re: cost of Lidocaine ointment & insurance coverage

Post by ezer »

My insurance would not cover anything. The compounding pharmacy wanted to charge me $210 for a similar formulation.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Blossum

Post by Blossum »

I just had my compounding pharmacy fill a prescription for a lidocaine/ketamine cream. Cost was $180. The pharmacist types up a note stating that this cream is prescribed and needed for a medical condition. My insurance covers the full amount for all compounded medications when I submit them and attach the letter from the pharmacist. Hope this helps.
PNE since 2011, started from a routine gynecology surgery. TG surgery Dr Hibner 2013..... Nerve pain improved.
nyt

Post by nyt »

My insurance paid for my ketamine/lidocaine/gabapentin compounded cream up until this month. My insurance company is now requiring prior approval for all compounded medications. We have done the first left of appeal since they denied the first request. I will go to the next level of appeal but while I'm working on the 2nd level of appeal I will have to pay out of pocket $150.00. I am not optimistic they will pay even with the next level of appeal since this is Medicare.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Quilter I can't answer your question but I just wanted to mention that I used 20% benzocaine OTC Walmart brand of Extra Strength Vagisil and it was just as effective (actually more effective) than the prescription lidocaine I tried. I think the Walmart brand is called Equate Vagicaine. It's also very cheap compared to what you are getting so might be worth a try.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”