Pain goes away at night...what does that mean?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
EMLR

Pain goes away at night...what does that mean?

Post by EMLR »

I have had pelvic pain for 26 years. My only symptom was painful sex upon penetration. Then, a year and a half ago, I started to feel odd sensations around my rectum. After doing some trigger point release therapy, I was sky-rocketed into intense spasm pain throughout my pelvic floor and intense pain and spasms in my rectum. I think the precursors to these problems are a life long spastic colon, a year of intense exercise programs and improper sitting on a kneeling chair (I would put my feet up on the knee pad part and sit back on my tail bone - what a silly thing to do in hindsight, but I my knees would get sore after awhile on the kneeling chair).

I have been diagnosed with PN finally after visiting all kinds of doctors. I have had BOTOX injections into the Levator Ani muscles and the Obturator Internus muscles by Dr. Hibner in AZ. That really helped the muscle spasm pain. To address the nerve pain, I had a PN nerve block 3.5 weeks ago. It has had me in a terrible flare so far, and things are just starting to calm down. Everything moves at glacial speed. If I gt too active, I am having muscle spasm in muscles that did not get BOTOX. By too active, I mean walking around the house too much, bending over or picking something up. All no-no's.

I am trying to rule out entrapment. My body is telling me that my pain drivers are muscular and skeletal issues. I have had low back pain on and off since being pregnant with my son 16 years ago. I am a petite person, and he was a big baby. I always carried him on my right hip, and my low back pain has always been on my right side. My PN is only on the right side as well. Lots of right side issues.

I have put myself to bed for the next week. I had been reducing my activity and stopped driving and working, but that is not enough. I am hoping bed rest will help this flare from the nerve block calm down.

So my question is this...if my pain sensations go away at night after laying down for 6+ hours and letting all my muscles relax, does that rule out nerve entrapment? My pain starts up again the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning. By evening I have been in agony and in tears.
Violet M

Re: Pain goes away at night...what does that mean?

Post by Violet M »

EMLR wrote:
So my question is this...if my pain sensations go away at night after laying down for 6+ hours and letting all my muscles relax, does that rule out nerve entrapment? My pain starts up again the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning. By evening I have been in agony and in tears.
Sorry to say that no, it would not rule out nerve entrapment. It's very common to have low pain levels in the AM and be much worse at night and I can say that was my own personal experience. My pain was primarily on one side too.

The flare-up after a nerve block can be difficult and is another thing I also experienced. Hopefully you are feeling better now after resting a bit.

Take care,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”