Nortriptyline

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Dorothy

Nortriptyline

Post by Dorothy »

Hi,
I was started on Amitriptyline 10mg but it was so drying - I also have Sjogren's Syndrome which causes dryness itself. The other problem was that it stimulated me when I took it at night as directed. I experimented and found if I took it at 5pm then I could get to sleep. I was then switched to Nortriptyline 10mg, increasing to 20mg. Again, this stimulated me and I found it difficult to sleep. I now take it at breakfast time. But the other problem is that my heart is racing and my blood pressure high. My Dr says carry on for a few weeks & if it continues, I'll have to come off it. I's nearly 6 weeks since I started the Amitriptyline. I think I'm getting a bit of benefit. Any comments welcome.
Dorothy
Lyme Disease since 1985, ME since 1994, Sjogren's Syndrome, Nerve pain for 8 years just diagnosed in 2012. Cystitis, partly caused by PN. PN helped with Colofac MR - four a day, plus Dicyloverine as needed, plus just starting Lyrica-PreGabalin, May 2012. I've seen my GP and consultants at Furness General - Gynae, Colon for sigmoidoscopy, Urology, who has prescribed the Lyrica and recognises PN. Gynae offered a referral to Dr De Mello in Manchester but I refused. I'll see how Lyrica goes for now.
Violet M

Re: Nortriptyline

Post by Violet M »

Dorothy, I tried a tricyclic antidepressant too (not nortriptyline but a related drug) and I couldn't tolerate it even though it helped urinary sympoms. I switched to an SSRI (lexapro) which helped the symptoms but didn't cause as many side effects. Something to consider if you are still having problems with nortriptyline.

Best,

Violelt
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”