Freezing Nerves Knocks Pain out Cold

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Apr. 14, 2013 — Using a tiny ball of ice, a minimally invasive interventional radiology treatment called cryoneurolysis safely short circuits chronic pain caused by nerve damage, according to data being presented at the Society of Interventional Radiology's 38th Annual Scientific Meeting in New Orleans.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121144.htm

Haven't read it fully yet, sorry. Any good ???
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
acw

Re: Freezing Nerves Knocks Pain out Cold

Post by acw »

There is another article posted the next day (Apr 15) that is linked from that page under "More Coverage", too. Basically the same article, with a little more information (also looks like they corrected some things like the temperature of the probe, etc). One thing the second article mentions is the common application for this treatment: "Nerves that respond well to freezing include the ilioinguinal nerves, intercostal nerves and superficial femoral nerves."

I've had this procedure done twice to my ilioinguinal nerve, approximately May 2007 and then repeated Feb 2008. Great results, and minimally invasive (virtually no down-time for recovery). I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the pain ever returned.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

An older thread about reservations when this was being offered for the pudendal nerve.

http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =48&t=4286

Rosemary x
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Thanks acw :) Here is that link with corrections http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 172013.htm

Yes can remember that conversation rosemary. I would like someone medical and PN clever to say if they think it is OK for the pudendal nerve at all. I would still take the view NO, although some other nerves like acw mentioned can benefit.
Glad you got good results from this acw. Have you had any recurring symptoms at all , or do you think this gave your nerve time to heal?

Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
acw

Post by acw »

Helen, I've had no recurring pain since the last cryo treatment in 2008. Wow, I guess that's over 5 years ago now! There is still some residual numbness, but I can't say I notice that unless I specifically touch the area looking for where it's numb. I think that some of the feeling has even come back over the years, so I'm sure that has something to do with the nerve healing/regenerating. But to be honest, it's such a non-issue for me now that I don't pay attention to it.

I have to agree, though, that I wouldn't consider this for treatment on the pudendal nerve.

-Anita

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”