mislabelling somatic concerns as mental disorders

Discuss here about Medical Disability claims and Insurance possibilities for PN treatment options
helenlegs 11

mislabelling somatic concerns as mental disorders

Post by helenlegs 11 »

This is a really good article about 'it's all in your head' and the 'too easy' 'dustbin' diagnosis ( too trite a description and I don't mean to 'rubbish' a diagnosis that is psychological, as this is as real as any other, I know) when there IS an actual organic problem.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm ... der?page=2
This is something that I have had to endure, well still am actually.
I have tried for a benefit (Industrial injuries, as I fell at work) but although the benefit people are happy to accept that my injury was caused by the fall they are also happy to accept that my problem is central sensitisation rather than actual pelvic neuralgia.
I will post an update of my ridiculous struggle at some stage but this article means quite a bit to me. I am very happy to read that people who can make a difference are looking into this problem realistically.
It is far too easy an option to say, it's psychosomatic.
Even tho' much of the pain management treatments will be similar whether the problem is psychological or somatic the are massive knock on issues if wrongly categorised with regard to any benefits or insurance as explained in this article. Then there is any actual targeted treatments of course, oh best not to get me started ;)
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Re: mislabelling somatic concerns as mental disorders

Post by Karyn »

Thank you for the article, Helen. I agree with you about how easy the medical community will diagnose patients with a psychosomatic disorders, simply because they don't understand the pathology. This paragraph from the article bothered me quite a bit:

DSM 5 must emphasize that physical symptoms deserve the respect of a thorough work-up before assuming their cause is psychiatric. And people with defined medical illnesses should not be casually mislabeled as also mentally ill just because they are upset about being sick.

Such as yourself; I'm very pleased to hear that someone (anyone!) is acknowledging this. The reason why the statement bothers me so much is because I was deemed a psycosomatic case only AFTER having the aforesaid "thorough work-up" (extensive lab work, lumbar MRI's, standard pelvic MRI's, cystocopies, colonoscopies...). It's been my experience that if you present with symptoms which aren't commonly treated or known about; you're not taken seriously and dismissed.

And people with defined medical illnesses should not be casually mislabeled as also mentally ill just because they are upset about being sick.
I like this statement. Being upset about sickness or unrelenting, unretractable pain IS A NORMAL, HEALTHY HUMAN REACTION.
Best,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Yes Karyn, this needs to addressed as they say in the article sooner rather than later doesn't it.
Just read HM's post on the thread about that poor woman with PGAD who committed suicide. Her words work equally well here.
Not only do Doctors and beaurocrats not believe us; they don't even doubt their omnipotence enough to do a simple Google search and find out that Neurologists who are smarter than them know this is real.
Well said HM. This whole PN problem is tough enough without possible ridicule,probable misdiagnosis and having to prove ourselves time and time again and still not be believed.
This is my own experience to a T, things need to change!
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
kia kaha

Post by kia kaha »

amen.
theyve done it to me.
Chronic Pain pudendal area for 3 years, after a hard jolt to right side.
18 months later discovered sprained/fused sacro-illiac injury. Told to 'live with it' then saw this forum October 2011 = symptoms matched. Attempting to get this investigated in the face of lack of skilled docs in New Zealand.
Been told I have IC Dec 2011
FINALLY - 3T MRI in Christchurch 5th May 2012 - Pudendal nerve block, unguided 8th June 2012 - still waiting on results and progress from these.

Return to “INSURANCE & DISABILITY ISSUES”