Pudendal stretch injury

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
carolynm

Pudendal stretch injury

Post by carolynm »

....has anyone thought of this as their mechanism of injury? Since my symptoms developed 1 day after swinging a pickaxe, this could be a likely cause for me. Doesn't sound like there's much treatment, of course.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Hope everyone is having a low-pain day.

cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
Faith

Re: Pudendal stretch injury

Post by Faith »

Normal vaginal childbirth would be an example of a stretch injury as the pudendal nerve is stretched 2x it's normal length in childbirth. Typically though people don't have problems more than a few hours/days with PN type pain from this. And some has been known to go on as long as 3 months. I think I heard this in a video on you-tube by Dr. Vancaillie (Austrailia).

I think SIJD would also be an example of a stretch injury as if the joint is out of alignment the ligaments can be pulling on and stretching the nerve. However, I personally believe that after having SIJD for so long it is very likely the nerve becomes entrapped in scar tissue from constant ligament stretching/pulling on the nerve. Just my theory.

I think you can have a stretch injury without having entrapment but the key would be the PN symptoms don't last more than a few weeks to 3/4 months maybe. With an entrapement however, the pain would continue.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Cari,
Not sure about the pudendal stretch injury, but I don't think you're far off the mark. Doreen (Quilter2) recently had unilateral surgery with Dr. Conway. Her pain started after chopping wood. Come to find out, she actually had a tear in one of her ligaments (?), which formed a significant amount of scar tissue - entrapping the PN.
Sorry to be vague, but she doesn't remember which ligament and we're awaiting her op report. I know she's not on the computer much right now, but I am sure she wouldn't mind receiving a PM from you.
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Hmmmm... Karyn.....this makes me think a little more. I wonder if the torn ligament could have been seen on the Potter MRI? That could have been EXACTLY the same type of case as mine.

I'll have to think about this and possibly call Dr. Potter to ask if she can see a tear, I would think she could.

cari
No meds work for me
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Well, in Doreens case, Dr. Potter did not pick up the tear. What she noted was something like, "prominent thickening of the (ST?) ligament". So, I guess that's understandable if after the tear, dense scar tissue developed, encasing the nerve. Hopefully, Doreen will get her op report, soon.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Cari, I think that a pudendal stretch injury contributed to pain in my case. Originally my pain was fairly mild and had pretty much gone away but I was doing some stretching exercises that a PT recommended and suddenly PGAD hit and soon developed into full-blown PNE pain. I think if the nerve is entrapped and you stretch or bend, it causes a stretch injury to the nerve.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Cari,
Just wanted to let you know - Doreen did get her op report. Her ST AND SS ligaments were encased in scar tissue, entrapping the PN. The clitoral branch of the PN was also entrapped.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Thanks for getting back to me on this one, Karyn. And thank you all for your responses. Just doing a little brainstorming.

cm
No meds work for me

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”