Pelvic Fracture and PN Symptoms

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
brok3npelv3s

Pelvic Fracture and PN Symptoms

Post by brok3npelv3s »

Hey,

I've been enduring a lot of hell recently due to a pelvic fracture from a car accident that occurred on July 4th. The next day, I was informed by the ER that I had fractures in the pubic rami and sacral alar. I rested for two weeks, and after that, my orthopedic doctor approved me to start walking slowly. I felt like I was gradually improving.

However, on July 27th, I suddenly began experiencing pain in my perineum, which soon spread into numbness. This has been bothering me ever since, severely affecting my progress and mental health for weeks. I've already ruled out CES with a lumbar and back MRI from the hospital. I'm trying to see a new orthopedic doctor to figure out the issue and am considering physical therapy. I'm absolutely terrified. I'm 25, just started my career, and was finally getting my life on track. I've lost it all because of a speeding car. I'm open to any suggestions or help to address this issue. My current symptoms are pain, numbness, and hot/cold sensations in my groin. This has driven my anxiety into overdrive, and I can't stop focusing on it every day. I just want some relief and will appreciate any advice.
April

Re: Pelvic Fracture and PN Symptoms

Post by April »

Hi Brok3,

I'm so sorry. That sounds awful. I'll start by mentioning that ice and heat can both relieve pelvic pain. I used ice for years but I now tend to use a vinyl heating pad on high. For the ice: I put a frozen condoms wrapped in a wet paper towel placed on a pad in my underwear, and that approach allowed me to leave the house while using ice.

Does your pain seem to follow the path of the pudendal nerve? Does it burn? Do you have pain with sitting? (Sitting pain is very common, but I am one of the rare people who can sit without pain, so these symptoms do vary across people.) Those are some of the common symptoms. The site lists healthcare providers who are knowledgeable about pn. If you see someone there in your area, you could ask your doctor for a referral. Sometimes pelvic pts can be very useful in the process of diagnosis, so you could request a referral for a pelvic pt as well. If your pain is not manageable, they can also refer you to a pain doctor.

Take care,
April
Violet M

Re: Pelvic Fracture and PN Symptoms

Post by Violet M »

Hello Brok3,

That is really sad that your life has been turned upside down by someone's carelessness. Those are some pretty major fractures you have to deal with.

You mentioned pain and numbness in the perineum but also in the groin. The perineum could be pudendal related, but the groin symptoms could be a different nerve such as the genitofemoral nerve. The numbness, pain, and hot/cold sensations could all be nerve related.

I think it makes sense to have a physical therapy evaluation, especially someone who specializes in pelvic health, to see if there is some pelvic instability as a result of your accident, but from my own experience, I think that if the PT wants you to start doing a lot of exercises, that it would be smart to proceed with caution. I have had a couple of conditions (including PNE) where the PT assigned tons of exercises that ended up making me worse. I've also had experience with some PT for a shoulder injury, where I was assigned lots of exercises and I got better. So, if you do PT, just be careful. The orthopedist can advise you on when the bones have healed enough to proceed with PT. Seeing a physician who specializes in the pudendal nerve would also be a very good idea.

Have you had an MRI of the pelvic area in addition to the lumbar and back MRI? Sometimes an MRI or MRN that uses software settings that enhance the nerve can show if there is an impingement on the pudendal nerve or other pelvic nerves. So that might be something to consider. Hollis Potter developed a protocol for this (she is listed under New York on the list of doctors on our website). There are places around the country that use her protocol but you would need to check with her office to find out where those are located.

If you see pain doctors who want to do a lot of injections, you will want to proceed with caution on that too. From what I have seen with people over the years on this forum is that injections can be valuable for diagnostic purposes, but lots of injections for pain relief can actually have the opposite effect and they don't necessarily help the pain permanently.

It can take time for nerves to heal. I pray that over time your symptoms will gradually fade and you will be able to live a normal, happy life. In the meantime, I think you may be able to get some pain medications that help you cope. I hate taking drugs, but when I went through the worst of PNE, the medications helped me survive.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”