PFD, Rectum issues & Hip labral tear/impingement

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
youhadmeatent

PFD, Rectum issues & Hip labral tear/impingement

Post by youhadmeatent »

I've had the worst 8 months of my life. It all started when I used an Aneros butt plug for pleasure. This guide I was following said to kegel on the butt plug to tire out the muscles. While doing this, I felt a very sharp pain within my pelvic floor. Soon after, I found out about pelvic floor dysfunction and I realized that I had this disorder for years. I had issues with dribble, frequency, and sometimes shooting nerve pain when urinating. I have extreme urgency with urination, and I used to sit in meetings for 1hr+ clenching my pelvic floor muscles as hard as I could in an effort not to pee myself. I even went to a urologist for this and they recommended "bladder training" where I hold my urine longer and longer, which in turn caused me to clench my pelvic floor harder and harder. :| Well this event with the aneros seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back.

Shortly after the aneros incident, I made the mistake of doing pelvic floor stretches way too intensely right out of the gate. First day I did 3 hours. I think I may have torn my labrum during this session? The following day, my whole pelvic floor felt like it was on fire. After that it was just a disaster. Nerve pain, spasms, sphincter spasm and pain, tailbone pain and spasms, my hip was spasming, back pain, SI Join pain. Just everything felt on fire. I went to the ER and they thought I had pudendal neuralgia. Referred to a urologist and he thought the same.

Pelvic MRI with contrast came back clean. Started going to PF physical therapy. Internal massage helps, but I tighten back up quickly. Overall my symptoms have decreased in intensity. I was at 9/10 pain for a few days straight 8 months ago, and today, I'm around 2/10 pain, but mostly am just feeling discomfort. My perineum spasms near my anus - it feels like the muscles down there are bunched up and hard. Pressing on them doesn't do much, definitely some pain though. My worst symptoms are in my rectum. My rectum feels like it's in spasm 100% of the time 24/7. It isn't extremely painful, but it feels crazy, kind of like my butthole is puckered and twisted deep inside of me all day. If I take a muscle relaxer (methocarbamol), it releases a bit but never 100% relaxed. Painful bowel movements sometimes with red blood coating the stool. I'm seeing a GI doc on the 19th of this month (possible hemorrhoid/fissure/fistula?).

Although I'm not in extreme pain, my quality of life is in the drain. I haven't been able to exercise in 8 months (I was extremely active prior). I haven't had sex with my girlfriend in 8 months either. I average 1 orgasm a month, and I usually have pain and tightness in my pelvic floor after orgasm. I have fear that sex will make me flare hardcore. I need to get over this.

Still have back and hip pain so got lower lumbar MRI, and the back doc said I have the spine of a teenager (I'm 37). I just had a hip MRI with contrast, and it shows a labral tear and hip impingement on the right hip. I have had pain in the hip for the last 8 months (ever since this whole thing started). But the pain is only in certain positions like child's pose or if I'm trying to externally rotate my hip a lot. I also get a sharp pinching sensation if I pull my knee up to my belly. Sometimes random burning pain in the hip just laying down or sitting, but it isn't debilitating.

So now the big question is .. do I get arthroscopic labrum repair in my hip in the hopes that it will solve my pelvic floor issues.

The hip surgeon is the best one in a somewhat big city I live in. He does hip surgery for the 2 major professional sports teams here, so I have confidence in his abilities. My concern is that getting my labrum fixed will do nothing for my pelvic/rectum pain, and could even possibly make it worse. I've read that some people get pudendal neuralgia just from orthopedic surgery alone due to the traction (pulling of the leg) and the perineum saddle used (crushes/stretches the pudendal nerve). This is rare (like 1-2%) and also will almost always resolve on its own. But I've read a few cases where the neuralgia did not resolve after surgery.

I asked the ortho surgeon if he was aware of the issue with pudendal nerve damage due to the surgery and he had a good response. They use as little traction as possible, use a large padded saddle, and give muscle relaxers to the patient prior to surgery. These were all the preventative measures that the Pubmed articles I read stated. He also said that he's done thousands of hip repairs in the office, so they are efficient and experienced, so less time in traction.

My fear is that I have this major surgery with a 3-6 month and possibly longer recovery period and find that it does absolutely nothing for my pelvic floor spasms/tightness/pain.

My current plan is to see the GI doc on the 19th of this month, see if I can solve the rectum issue. The rectum issue might be causing the tightness in the perineum. I'm guessing he'll want to do a colonscopy, which of course I'm fearful of. My internal sphincter is extremely sensitive and tight. I've tried dilation and the smallest dilator caused serious trauma (felt like scar tissue tore open in my internal sphincter, and I had ~1.5 weeks of pure hell of internal sphincter spasms and searing pain).

Lastly, my regular doc referred me to another urologist because he believes I may have prostatitis and wants to give me a month of cipro. I've avoided antibiotics throughout this whole ordeal because all of my bacterial testing came back negative. He says it's almost impossible to test positive for bacterial prostatitis. I'm thinking it might be worth giving the antibiotics a shot before doing something invasive like arthroscopic labral repair.

I'm also seeing a new PF PT starting next week and will begin to focus on strengthening my hip. Maybe that will help?

What do you think of the plan? Has anyone here gone through labral repair/hip impingement surgery and had a reduction in pelvic floor tightness/pain? I've done a bunch of searches on reddit and it's a mixed bag. I have found maybe 1-2 examples where it helped, but then others who say it made it worse or did nothing at all.

I feel so frustrated with the lack of clarity here. It feels like a such a crap shoot with such a major life decision.
Bolex

Re: PFD, Rectum issues & Hip labral tear/impingement

Post by Bolex »

Hi i have query labral tear and cant stop clenching my pf
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Some people get reduced pelvic pain when they get the hip labrum repair but it's not a guarantee. No kind of surgery is a guarantee so it really comes down to how bad is your quality of life.
Are you willing to risk possibly getting worse -- although it sounds like the surgeon you are considering knows what he's doing so the risk of getting worse is probably quite small.

Prostatitis could be one part of the picture but it sounds like you have too many symptoms for it to be that simple of a diagnosis. And is rectal pain one of the symptoms of prostatitis? The urinary symptoms would be consistent with that diagnosis but you have some other stuff going on too. But, with that said, cipro is a low risk treatment, and if it helps some symptoms might be worth a try. Antibiotics can reduce inflammation so you might get some temporary relief even if you don't have an infection going on.

Since you are improving, I think you are smart to avoid any very risky treatments and to only try exercise in moderation, starting out slowly with each exercise you add back in and quit doing it if it causes flare-ups. Complex musculoskeletal issues are not always easy to fix so sometimes you just have to be easy on your body. Some pudendal neuralgia doctors believe there is a genetic component for some people with pudendal neuralgia so you may need to realize your limitations try to not over-do things. That's what I have to do and I can have a good quality of life if I am careful.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kanita728

Post by kanita728 »

Still have back and hip pain so got lower lumbar MRI, and the back doc said I have the spine of a teenager (I'm 37). I just had a hip MRI with contrast, and it shows a labral tear and hip impingement on the right hip. I have had pain in the hip for the last 8 months (ever since this whole thing started). But the pain is only in certain positions like child's pose or if I'm trying to externally rotate my hip a lot. I also get a sharp pinching sensation if I pull my knee up to my belly. Sometimes random burning pain in the hip just laying down or sitting, but it isn't debilitating. sad dp

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”