Underwear/Jeans/Just Curious

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
JRS

Underwear/Jeans/Just Curious

Post by JRS »

Perhaps a little odd topic...but I was wondering if others have issues with underwear? Specifically, I find the elastic has to be really loose or it hurts the sides of my perineum. Some of you may laugh at this...but I thought perhaps shaving an area would give the area less of something to pull on. I did a "test" area and needlesstosay, that side flared up awefully...not that day but two days later. Have others found their pubic hairs hurt or have this similar problem? I cannot wear jeans anymore - I assume this is normal as well?
Symptoms started 7/2010 following Cellulitis infection
Hysterectomy 11/08 due to fibroids/4 child births
Rt Leg Obturator & Piriformis Pain
Sacral Pain
Current Medications: Lidocaine 5% Patch, Baclofen,Tramadol, Xanax
Topical Amitriptyline/Gabapentin Compound as I am not tolerating systemic treatment
Under Pain Management Care, Seeing a PN therapist (8 visits to date)
PN Block via CT Guide (3/11)
(2) ESI Trigger Point Injections (4/22/11)
HerMajesty

Re: Underwear/Jeans/Just Curious

Post by HerMajesty »

I think very few of us can wear jeans. I wear loose PJ-type sweatpants or men's boxers under skirts.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

I can wear jeans, but not for multiple days in a row.

I've taken to buying underwear one size too big. I also have cut the extra crotch fabric out before--you know,that extra panel of fabric right at the crotch?

I go commando at home, and wear lots of legging/tunic outfits and looser crotched chino trousers.

All that to say, this is a common problem that you're experiencing!

Lauren
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

I to go commando at home. Haven't worn pants in general since last summer. It's skirts and dresses for me...which I HATE!!! I always wore pants: dress pants, jeans, peddle pushers and now...skirts and dresses. I to try to buy my underwear a size up. I bought a pair of mens 2x basketball shorts for PT (which I start tomorrow). We'll see how they work.
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

TracyB7777 wrote:Haven't worn pants in general since last summer. It's skirts and dresses for me...which I HATE!!! I always wore pants:
I feel you hun I was always a cargo pants kind of gal...now a very feminine hippie :?
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Kath

Post by Kath »

I bought underwear one size up from normal but it's still uncomfortable. I wear looser trousers now too, oh that will be pants for everyone in the US!
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Oh, how I miss the jeans! I haven't worn regular pants in years. I wear dresses and elastic waste skirts in the summer, but looking remotely fashionable in the winter is problematic. It's baggy, elastic waist pants with a big, loose sweater/shirt. Sigh ...
My underwear is 2 sizes too big and is constantly falling down. :oops:
TracyB7777 wrote:I to go commando at home.
Me, too! The underwear is the first thing to come off when I get home and then I throw on huge, baggy sweats.
I just recently scored some pajama jeans, though! Anyone have a pair? They look just like jeans with pockets and everything, but they're sweats! I love my pajama jeans! :D
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
roxy1

Post by roxy1 »

Jeans=Fire! I usually walk around in falling down sweats...much more comfey. 5% lidocaine and pads are helpful....but not helpful enough to wear jeans...Now I like skirts in summer and yoga pants with padding & lidocaine in the underpants which are of course loose... I do miss my jeans...still own them, haven't given up yet maybe someday 8-)
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

I just stored my jeans in a spacebag this afternoon. Slid it under my bed because I know one day I will be healed of this awful pain and I WILL wear them again.

But for now I've concluded that underwear is way overrated. I don't wear it unless I'm on my period and I don't feel the least bit weird about it anymore. During warm weather I lived in skirts and dresses. Might have to start wearing undies again when the weather warms up :o During winter, I wear sweatpants ( cute ones of course!) or skirts and dresses with warm boots.

I told my husband that I need to start a line of clothing for women living with pelvic pain. Of course I have no design experience but I like to sew. Haven't done it a while though cause I can't sit. I did hem a jacket for hubby while standing a the machine.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Griff522 wrote:I just stored my jeans in a spacebag this afternoon. Slid it under my bed because I know one day I will be healed of this awful pain and I WILL wear them again.
I kept all my jeans too, on the off chance that I will not only be healed but also lose the 60 pounds I piled on between becoming too disabled to excercise, taking a job with the guy who re-enabled me to excercise hence becoming too busy to excercise, and playing around with medication regimens. :? Good luck with that, me :!:

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”