Memory Foam for sitting or lying?

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Karyn

Re: Memory Foam for sitting or lying?

Post by Karyn »

blightcp wrote:Forget sitting, the only thing I can LAY on is memory foam
Me, too! ;) I've had a Bob-O-Pedic memory foam bed for the last several years. And because my once comfy living room furniture is (has been) intolerable for me, I had a full size air mattress in the middle of my living room, topped with no less than 4 inches of memory foam. It was low to the ground and very difficult to get in and out of. Last year, I broke down and bought an adjustable twin orthopedic memory foam bed for the living room and made it to look like a couch. I love it! I got rid of that air mattress in the middle of the room and got my living room back! Now I feel like a queen on a throne, instead of a loser on an air mattress! :D
I got this at Bob's, too. And the mattress cover is fabulous!
http://www.mybobs.com/power-bob-with-bo ... win-xl-set
http://www.mybobs.com/twin-xl-standard-bed-protector
Yes - very expensive, but worth every penny!

For those of you who are able to sit/recline ... they have memory foam recliners, too.

Best,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

I was really considering that, thanks for the links!

Have you noticed any breakdown of the memory foam?

Does it get hot after being in it a while?
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

You're welcome, Blight! The memory foam has been a life saver for me! I've had the (bedroom) memory foam bed for about 7 years. No issues what so ever. It's queen size, and we just flip it a couple of times a year. OK... my husband flips it and does it when he remembers. :D
Unfortunately, yes. The memory foam does retain heat. That may be desirable for some, but I'm a sweater and am very grateful for the fabulous mattress covers. Otherwise, I would've ruined my bed years ago.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Karyn and Blight,
Your situation sounds somewhat similar to mine.
I love my temperpedic bed in my Bedroom ...I can lie on it comfortably.
The living room couch and love seat at the moment are not great but can tolerate them for a short time...Hopefully that will change soon if/when we can get my meds dosage adjusted correctly.. we are working on it.
We have leather couches and recliners in the family room/den on our main floor and down in our base rec room. My family members are big sports fans so they spend most of their time down there.
The leather hurts a lot ..so can't hang out with them down there for too long... It's set up like a man-cave with leather recliner/sofa and TV on one side and pool table on other!

I also found that I could tolerate lying on a velour material sofa in a beach house we rented last summer.. So that may be be good for some folks..
the leather (which is so popular these days) is the most uncomfortable surface for me/

Thx for the Bobs link...that store is a great resource.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Kathy!
I know what you mean about the leather. My mom has gorgeous leather living room furniture and it's just too hard and dense for me. I can't even sit on it for any length of time with my IC cushion.
For me, lying down is just as painful as sitting. Worse, even. Due to the neuropathies in my legs and feet (plus hips, lower abdomen), I have the same compression issues as with sitting.
Oh, and let's not forget the prolonged standing! ;) Can't do that for long periods of time, either. I've got a memory foam rug in front of my oven, and a longer one that runs in front of the kitchen sink and counter. And of course, I have a memory foam bath mat. :D
It's been recommended by several physicians that I get rid of the mats, because they're tripping hazards. There's no way I'm picking those mats up. They're one of my most valuable tools. I haven't face-planted, yet. So far, so good!
Kind regards,
Karyn
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

I have a beautiful leather sofa set and I can't tolerate it either.

Most leather furniture use a heavy density foam to help the leather from wrinkling and sagging.

I can't tolerate a standard medical bed. I was in so much pain they knocked me out before the surgery.

My best bet while sitting is to get the weight onto the ischial tuberosity AKA pelvic bone. But that only works for 10-20 min. But it also can flare up the sciatic nerve.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”