PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
helenlegs 11

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by helenlegs 11 »

This has really annoyed me Jackson. I can't answer your question directly being female, but I wouldn't be at all surprised that this was a component of PN, what else could it be?? It has all of the tell tale signs of PGAD.
Oh yes hilarious! it's this biased, giggling, nonsense, attitude which is based on simple ignorance about the problem that is unfortunate to say the least.
I also understand totally about you mentioning this to them, just supplying a bit more possibly pertinent info, in the hope that it may tie the symptoms together to help them with a diagnosis. As you say not a complaint just another pointer (sorry ;) ) to the actual problem. See now I'm at it too but not laughing at. . . . . . at least I do understand it. After all if we can't laugh with it just becomes doom and gloom.
AND now this HAS turned into a problem for you. Perhaps it wouldn't have if they had just thought a little more (won't say harder :) ) and your issues could have been sorted out sooner.
The sooner they ALL have some education about pelvic nerve problems the better. I would like to be laughing AT them but it just isn't funny !
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Yes, Jackson, there have been some other guys who posted of symptoms of PGAD although typically they have not described it as a good feeling. It could depend on what stage of neuropathy you are in though.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Violet M wrote:Yes, Jackson, there have been some other guys who posted of symptoms of PGAD although typically they have not described it as a good feeling. It could depend on what stage of neuropathy you are in though.

Violet

Hi Voilet,

Wasn't so much a good feeling more of a number of unusual things happening to me. Descending into a then undiagnosed illness with weight loss, pain, and strange symtpoms . So I raised the increase in erections issue at the time as in a "what is this question" among everything else I was being hit with. The major penile pain came monthes later after a medical investigation. Very complex history. There's so much to tell in the journey to detail it all here. Too complex, honestly, to detail my health, so I just stick to the possible 'pudendal neuralgia' diagnosis for the genital pain issue in terms of the HOPE forum.

So the erection issue could have been one of the first symptoms of pudendal neuralgia??? before it changed in nature??? I would certainly trade that aspect though( numerous erections) for the penile pain. Yes, so you're correct it wasn't so much of a problem, as a possible mystery symptom as I was being turned upside down with an emerging illness. I guess it doesn't fit the PGAD.
Cheers Jackson.
Last edited by Jackson on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Jackson wrote:. I guess it doen't fit the PGAD.
I don't know, Jackson -- it certainly sounds like it was persistent, definitely affected the genital area, was some type of arousal, and was some type of disorder. I went through a stage of PNE where I had just PGAD -- no pain -- so I think what you experienced sounds like it could have been due to the pudendal nerve misfiring.

Sandra Leiblum was the first to publish on this topic and according to her definition "the physiologic signs of persistent arousal are experienced as uninvited, intrusive, and unwanted." After reading the forum for so many years I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of variations of pudendal neuralgia and there are also a lot of variations in PGAD.

The important thing is -- I hope you are doing better now. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Violet M wrote:

her definition "the physiologic signs of persistent arousal are experienced as uninvited, intrusive, and unwanted."

Violet
Hi Voilet,

Thanks for that info.

Cheers, Jackson
greeneyes

Post by greeneyes »

Jackson,

Men can definitely get PGAD. If you do a search on the Internet you will find a number of cases where men have developed spontaneous arousal. Here is a post by a man who developed PGAD after pelvic surgery. http://cure-erectile-dysfunction.org/49 ... region/104

Many women with pelvic nerve problems develop PGAD or related symptom like hypersensitivity. It seems logical that men could develop those problems as well.

Greeneyes
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Hi greeneyes,

Thanks for your input. These replies all help in getting to the bottom of things.

Cheers, Jackson.
KahluaMaria

Post by KahluaMaria »

Hi, I just found this site and I wanted to post here asking for help please. I don't know what's happening to me or why, but it's making daily life pretty horrendous. It started one night in March this year when I was dropping off to sleep and I felt a spasm in my vagina so strong it woke me up. For the rest of that night, the spasms got stronger and more frequent, though never to the point of spontaneous orgasm. It really disturbed me and I had it for over 3 weeks, along with the sensation of pressure around genital area and general arousal. Eventuallly it lessened but I had it on and off in varying degrees of strength since March.

The only correlation is that at the time I was taking anti depressants (citalopram) which I've heard have been linked to the onset of PGAD? I only bring this up again now because in the past week or so, it's flared up again like it did before. Constant aching around genitals, constant vagina spasms and general arousal. It's making me beyond miserable and ontop of everything else I'm having to deal with in life at the moment, this is the final straw. Thankfully I am managing to sleep, though there are some nights where I have very broken sleep if the spasms are strong. Mercifully that is rare, but it doesn't stop me worrying about it. I need my sleep!!!

I have spoken in the past to my dr about this, though at the time she blamed the citalopram. Well, over six months down the line, and having been off them since April, I dont think we can really blame the meds anymore.

I just don't know what to do. At its worst, it stops me concentrating on even basic tasks. I can't imagine how I'd go about having a fast paced career like I want, being like this. It's so ridiculous that something like this even exists, but apparently it does...I've been hoping and hoping it isn't PGAD, but...what else could it be? Reading through other people's posts on here, it's clear that my experience could be a LOT worse. I don't really have pain, though it is terribly distracting and uncomfortable. And as I mentioned, there doesnt seem to have been any danger of spontaneous orgasms. So it could be worse, but it could be a LOT better. I've asked all the usual questions...why me?....etc. I just don't know where to go from here.

And I guess, most of all, I'm absolutely terrified this will never go away. I'm barely hanging on to sanity as it is right now.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi there kahluamaria,
Welcome to HOPE, although sorry that you are having such a disturbingly bad time, prompting you to find us.
I have never heard of any correlation between cymbalta and PGAD but I may have missed that one somewhere along the line.Anyone else??
Anyway you have already discounted any connection as far as you are concerned.
I have heard that tramadol can help this particular symptom (slow release in particular) I have never really monitored this properly myself, although I do take tramadol; my PGAD is fairly indiscriminate (not too persistent thankfully) and not that troublesome.
If this is pudendal related, and it could well be,try not sitting,as much as possible. If you give this a good try (more difficult than it sounds) it could help quite a lot and hopefully fairly quickly.
Have a look on the home page under physiotherapists and see if there are any pelvic PN aware ones near you. A pelvic evaluation would give answers to any muscle related pelvic floor problems. Particularly tight muscles and/or trigger points may give a clue as to 'why' and also a way forward with treatment. Many people find that this is all that is needed, hopefully you will too. ,The combination of an anti seizure and anti-depressant (yes like cymbalta :roll: ) is often a good way to tackle any nerve related problems and can make a difference especially with nerve pain and may be worth a try although I think I am suggesting this more as a guard against any escalation in the problem.
Personally I would hold off on any medication and try the NOT sitting and book a pelvic physiotherapy session first, hope they help but then try some medication if needed a bit later. Again you can find a lot of info on this on the home page.
The only other advice is, try ice. . . . . Some people fill condoms with a small amount of alcohol and water combination for a more slushy frozen result, but this easy treatment option can really help .
Hope things calm down soon. Let us know how you are :)
Take care,
helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Aussie-m

Post by Aussie-m »

Hey all i know i did say this is a symptom in Chinese medicine , it is a kidney YIN deficiency so i suggest see a TCM practitioner as a trial go to see if you get your relief ??? A natural cure is always a good one even Chinese herbs work very well in this situation .
cheers

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”