Help from Dr Greenslade

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
calluna

Re: Help from Dr Greenslade

Post by calluna »

Dr Gareth Greenslade is an anaesthesiologist based at the Pain Management Clinic at Frenchay Hospital. He has a particular interest in Pudendal Neuralgia.

I am just back from a weekend away and am catching up with messages! - hope this is enough info, all telephone numbers and contact details are on those two links.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I meant to post yesterday, I have heard when my appointment with Mr Dixon will be, 17 August. That's more than 19 weeks since I was referred to be seen 'urgently'.

It is a bit disappointing that the wait is so long. I gather that it was thought that an appointment had been sent out to me already, but it had actually been overlooked. Anyway the appointment is made now. Ten and a half weeks to go....
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Thanks for this useful link to Dr Greenslade, he is well known in dealing with many areas of pain and is becoming a great centre for neurostimulation - I know a few patients of his so you will be in good hands once you get to see him. What a shame that you have to wait so long dont you just love the NHS!!!!
A friend of mine was awaiting a gastrology appointment which was classed as extremely urgent at the end of December, he finally got seen on 31st May. Thankfully the end result was good news however it could have been diferent if the diagnosis was more sinister.
Be patient and hopefully the time will pass by smoothly.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Yes, that's just the way of it. And after all, it is free! I am a bit disappointed about the wait, but am not too fussed really. It won't cause any further problem for me after all - as it could have done with your friend. :shock: It was just an unfortunate series of coincidences in my case, people being off sick, things being overlooked. No big deal. It is nice to have it in the diary, though! :)
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

So glad you have that date to look forward to Calluna, it will be really interesting finding out what your Mr Dixon has to say. Do you think your chasing up made it happen? Good old NHS ! Not that it matters really now.
All the best of luck with it,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Yes I do, actually. If I hadn't rung up, I am certain that I would still be waiting to hear, and that I would not yet have an appointment.

I heard back from the Pain Clinic re the first time I chased this, they had just re-sent the referral in case it had got lost. After that I checked with the appointments clerk, who looked via my hospital number and had told me that I had no appointments booked.

Then I spoke to the appropriate secretary, wondering what had happened to the referral? - she told me that it had just arrived for the second time, but she had already booked me an appointment a while ago when the referral arrived the first time. I said that according to the appointments clerk there was nothing booked for me, and it transpired that the appointment had never actually been made. It had been overlooked - she thought she had done it, but actually hadn't.

Good thing I chased, and kept chasing.

There's a moral there somewhere, not quite sure what though... :roll: :)

Your appointment is quite soon now, isn't it?
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Yes 29th June. With the better weather I think the days slip by that bit quicker so yours won't feel that far away. It's bad wishing the time away, we should just enjoy the glorious British sunshine ;)
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
calluna

Post by calluna »

So, not long now for you. Hope it goes well! I am not wishing the days away, except when it rains..... which it is going to any minute by the look of it.... :roll:
calluna

Post by calluna »

A bit of an update on this journey.

I've now seen Mr Dixon, who is going to see if he can fix me. He says that he can definitely deal with the mesh extrusions, and that with regard to the nerve pain 'there is definitely something going on, on the left hand side'. (Not joking, I think I lost the power of speech when he pressed at one location. Extremely painful.) He thinks the problem is more likely to be because of a misplaced suture, than the mesh. Anyway, he is going to do a laparoscopy and see what can be done. This will be done at the same time as the mesh extrusions, so I will only need one lot of anaesthetic.

I will admit I am very relieved that he hasn't sent me away. Also rather unhappy about the prospect of yet another mesh repair, but there it is.

So now I wait to hear about a date for surgery.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Calluna you could be on the last stretch, heavens I hope so. Good luck with it, I know he is going to be ultra careful with you.

Return to “UK & IRELAND”