non-cushioned hard smooth surface chairs

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
steve526

non-cushioned hard smooth surface chairs

Post by steve526 »

Anyone find they do better sitting on hard smooth surfaces?

So hard that you can feel weight totally on your sit-bones with nothing pressing up in between.
HerMajesty

Re: non-cushioned hard smooth surface chairs

Post by HerMajesty »

I love hard seats and hate squishy ones...and I know I have spoken to at least one other PN patient who feels the same but can't recall who it was...but it seems we are in the minority here.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
KC17

Post by KC17 »

I too prefer hard seats to soft ones. Soft chairs seem to conform around my butt and somehow that aggravates my nerve more.

Krista
Pain started suddenly April 2010.
3T MRI w/ Dr. Potter, January 2011 shows bilateral impingement of the dorsal nerve of the clitoris.

Unsure what to do next because my pelvis is a mess.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

For me, hard chairs are torture. I have spasming buttocks.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

I have always found hard, flat chairs were much less painful than soft chairs. But......................if I sit too long, my sacrum feels like it is being pushed upward, causing muscle tenson and pain there.

On a hard flat surface I can feel my sit bones touching the hard surface, holding me up and off whatever is causing the pain, which I believe is the pudendal nerve.

I figure it must be the mechanics of how the bones, muscles, ligaments and nerves move around as you sit down on a hard suface.

Robyn
VA-USA-6/03 Horseback Accident-Broke Pelvis at Pubic Ramis-Left
By 12/03 had ALL signs of PNE. HORRIBLE BURNING when sitting
24 doctors & image studies found nothing over 7 yrs
Found this site 10/10 At last I had HOPE
PN Block 9/10 ALL areas of burning numb for 24 HRS
2 more blocks-no lasting relief, but numbed all "burning" areas
Pulsed Radio Frequency 01/11 did nothing
Surgery 3/3/11 Dr Dellon Balto, MD - Greatly reduced pain right away. Currrently in post-op healing phase.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

The harder the better
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”