PN/E cause infertility?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
candice-marie88

PN/E cause infertility?

Post by candice-marie88 »

I was doing some research online last night and came accross some information which suggested that PN/E and PFD could cause infertility. Does anyone know if this is true?
pomegranate

Re: PN/E cause infertility?

Post by pomegranate »

Candice,

Here's my take on your statement.

1) Women (and men) with PN/E and PFD tend to have pain with intercourse; therefore, they may have less or none of it.
2) Men with this condition may have ejaculatory problems.
3) Women with PFD often have comorbid conditions (endometriosis, adhesions, etc.) that can hinder fertility.

Lauren
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Count me in among category 3. I have had endometriosis for 30 years.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

Lernica, I have it too. My pelvis is really a "perfect storm" of conditions.
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Who said that it causes infertility in men or women?It causes ED issues in men but never heard of infertility.The seminal vesicles along with prostate are responsible for Semen production. :D

Regards,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Sexual dysfunction isn't the same as infertility. I also don't think we can say endometriosis is caused by pelvic floor issues; it is true though that you can have two things at once.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

Celeste wrote:Sexual dysfunction isn't the same as infertility. I also don't think we can say endometriosis is caused by pelvic floor issues; it is true though that you can have two things at once.
I hope I wasn't unclear with my brief response.

Sexual dysfunction can hinder fertility in that it would lead to a reduced amount of intercourse, in turn leading to a reduced chance of pregnancy. Does the dysfunction itself cause infertility--no.

Endometriosis is not caused by pfd; instead, it is my understanding the pain and adhesions from endo can contribute to pfd. Of course, one's pelvic pain can stem from a lot of sources that unfortunately aren't always connected.

Celeste, I know you know all of this. My response to you was for clarification to any other forum members reading this response.

Lauren
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Oh I know, Lauren!

My point was to say, decreased frequency of intercourse is not the same as impaired fertility. Until proven otherwise, everything works hormonally and structurally to make eggs and sperm, and allow fertilization. Pain or erectile issues separate from that, but I see your point that they could have the same net effect--just as deployment or working opposing shifts could do.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”