childhood cause of pne? straddle fall or spanking

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
pianogal

childhood cause of pne? straddle fall or spanking

Post by pianogal »

Hi,
When I was a kid I had a straddle fall with bleeding labia. I've always attributed that to my pudendal pain.
Around age 7, I started sitting leaning to one side.

But every now and then, I wonder if it was just those few (6) times I got spanked by my dad, who is the most
wonderful dad on the planet and I've never needed to argue with once because he is so easy going and nice,
but who got the "brilliant" idea to make a paddle out of wood with holes drilled into it and name it "Mayhem".
"Mayhem 1" broke on me so he made "Mayhem 2".Now mind you, my dad is awesome, and I was never abused.
He didn't punish in anger, but I think he got carried away when he made this paddle. Anything he ever made out
of wood was made far too strong and intended to last 10 lifetimes. And I was researching paddles and apparently holes
make them swing faster. I found this site where they sell similar ones to the one I remember as a kid
http://www.thewilbournegroup.com./Speci ... index.html , and (forgive me people) but apparently
some adults must be buying these for sexual reasons it seems from comments on this site and it must affect the
nerve somehow. Someone said after using one they couldn't sit that day. http://www.thewilbournegroup.com/Specia ... eviews.htm

So I'm wondering if I should be mad at my dad, and if this is all his fault. Not that it matters whose fault it is though...
But if it is his fault, I'm angry that he was so stupid to think I needed such a high tech disciplinarian tool because
I was a good kid. Thankfully, I was only spanked a handful of times ever.

I apologize that this is not too relevent to anyone else's problems unless we find that we were all spanked by paddles
with holes as children, and I just needed to vent. Mods, feel free to delete this if it's not necessary.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
HerMajesty

Re: childhood cause of pne? straddle fall or spanking

Post by HerMajesty »

As somebody who started with pelvic pain in my teenage years due to joint dysfunction, I would say definitely let your Dad and the spankings off the hook.
A fall like that leaving you with a lean (which I had as well, in standing and in sitting), sounds like a definite pelvic joint dysfunction. A joint dysfunction in the pelvis can misagn you from head to toe as it is the center of the kinetic chain. I have also seen pain in the pelvic region in children, due to a kinetic conpensation from another region - specifically, from a dysfunction in the the cervical vertebrae caused by forceps birth...This led to a similar leaning posture and pelvic pain symptoms in a very young girl.
If spanking caused this, 100 years ago everybody would have had PN, LOL.
Have you ever had the postural issue corrected?
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Pianogal I agree with Her Majesty

Regardless of your paternal issues having a fall could well have contribted to your PN problems.
I know that stress and a blame factor is always on the forefront of your mind....however you have to be realistic at the same time.
The current issues are more relelvant and how you cope with them on a daily basis.
There is no need for any Mods to adjust your post...we accept your thoughts as they are and can only offer you the kindest thoughts at this difficult time for you. i have often wondered what could be to blame for my pain..was I a rebellious teenager to my parents? Was it because of my large babies that i delivered naturally? Did I do too much sports? I was a very active person in my younger years...horseriding, athletics, hockey etc.......the main thing is not to blame yourself but to think of now and what can I do to make things easier.

It is not easy and there is no rationale or logic to lean on.
We have to accept what we have NOW. It is not easy!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Excellent point Amanda,
I had a horrible 1st labor and asked my doc for an elective C-section for the second, which he denied. I am a very demanding, proactive person when not pregnant, but when pregnant the hormones turn me into a big useless mush, so I just dropped the idea. After the second childbirth is when I got PNE, so now it is very difficult not to play the "what if I had changed Docs to get my C-section"? game.
You are so right that is useless.
And I know anyhow God has used these circumstances to put me right where He wants me to be.
The only use of this kind of speculation, really, is as a form of detective work. Pinpointing the precipitating event can help determine what is causing the PNE, and hence how to treat it.
But as an emotional game, this kind of speculation will cause you to lose every time.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Amanda wrote:Was it because of my large babies that i delivered naturally?
It's completely natural to look for meaning. I thought it had to have been from my child's size (8 lbs, 14 cm circumference head).

But I've been told that 15 cm is where their head gets stuck and it's time for a c-section, and of course I know lots of women who delivered 10 and 11 lb. babies, with no PN.

Then I also have to say, the baby came out and only side hurt...and that side was found to have the ligaments grown together around the nerve.

I say PNE was in the cards for me and I just didn't know it until it was too late. I'll always wonder if things would have been different had I had a c-section, but I suppose it's a fool's game to think like that, so I don't do it....much. :lol:
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Celeste

Well we will never know whether a baby's size or the speed or the delivery has caused our PNE. My first baby was 10 and a half pounds....a whopper who ended up in 3-6 months clothes from birth. i sustained third degree lacerations and ended up in major physio for a long time afterwards.....my second delivery was a baby of 9lbs 5 oz so not a small baby...however i had a tear then but nothing like the first one.
So did I have a predisposition to having a likelehood to developing PNE at a later stage in my life....maybe. The crux for me was a vaginal hysterectomy when I knew as soon as I woke up after the surgery that I had a fire in my crotch!
That I believe is the reason I developed PNE, but maybe my previous deliveries of big babies who were both 2 weeks overdue had a part ot play in the whole picture....does it matter....not really!!! i have now what i have to live with.....pain all day long, but having tried every method out there i have to accept that What I have is what I have....!!!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

One thing about suspecting you got PNE from delivering a baby...you know without a doubt the kid was worth it!
Sorry, strayed off topic a bit by now.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”