Pain with BM

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Faith

Pain with BM

Post by Faith »

I have just recently started having pain with BM's. I am not constipated. I go to the bathroom everyday and my stools are soft. But when I feel the urge to have a BM I start to feel burning/tingling and as I go it burns and then after I go it burns for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't understand why it has started all of a sudden. It seems like as time passes I just continue to get worse and get new symptoms. Is there any treatment to help with this? I eat tons of fiber so again constipation is not an issue for me. The burning is internal, but also around the rectum.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Emily B

Re: Pain with BM

Post by Emily B »

Yes, I have this too. Even if stool is soft, it still puts pressure on the PN as it passes by.

Emily B.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Dear Faith,

I definitely can sympathize with you. While I once (long time ago) did not have this problem, it became a problem as my entrapped nerve got more and more inflamed (I was entrapped in the alcock's canal on the left and am still entrapped although at a lesser degree in the same place on the right). Towards the end, before my surgery, it actually felt like a knife as stool passed through the rectum. Then, there would be residual burning afterwards. Now, I use Miralax and 200mg of docusate every night to keep stools soft and I still get a bit of burning but it's more pelvic floor muscle spasms as the problem now. I no longer feel the stabbing knife as stool passes through the rectum on the left. Sometimes, if a stool is harder than normal, I will feel a knife like pain on my right. More of the problem is, since my nerve is regenerating on the left, it is still ultra sensitive and so bowel movements of any kind and 90% of the time with urination I have burning pain in my urethra as the urine comes out. This is all related to the PN.

Have you been put on Hibner's appointment cancellation list? If not, I would suggest you do that. You need relief ASAP. If you have an extra tight pelvic floor, he may want to put you through Botox trials before you potentially have surgery. He is very careful as to whom he does surgery on. Maybe you can find a doctor closer to where you live that would do Botox on you. Sometimes, even with an entrapment, Botox can help a bit. I read this somewhere in the vaults of tipna.

I wish I could be of more help, just ice and heat, and try to take a muscle relaxant (I use oral Valium).

A's Mommy

Praying for you
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Faith,
Yes, I have the same type of pain as you do with BM's. Also like you, I don't have hard stool or constipation problems. It just plain hurts when the colon is full, stings as it's coming out and it feels like my rectum is raw/being stabbed with lots of little needles. I understand this is difficult to grasp, but PN(E) seems to be a progressive condition for the majority of us. I'm going on year 4 now and my symptoms are piling up, with nothing diminishing. I recently took a mental year in review and was surprised to realize how much less I'm able to physically do, compared to last year and the year before that and the year before that.
I'm sorry you're going through this and even more sorry I don't have any solutions to this particular problem.
Warmest of regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Yes to all symptoms. I get relief by applying a lidocaine\neurontin ointment on my rectum before and after bms. Very helpful.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Faith

Post by Faith »

Thanks for your comments ladies. It helps to know I'm not the only one. I know PN is a progressive condition, but it just amazes me how people have lived 10 years+ with this and I've only had it for 11 months (well maybe a little over 2 years if you count my time during pregnancy, but I dont' think they were necessarily related) yet my PN has progressed so quickly. Within 3 months of not being able to sit I had myofasical trigger points and pain all over my body and couldn't hardly stand due to all the pain in my feet. 6 months later I had to start working only a few hours a week and had no life outside the home hardly. Maybe it's because I have a toddler so I am bound to put more pressure on my nerve with all the lifting and bending I do caring for her. And the crazy thing is I started all the conservative treatment ASAP. In fact I was in PT when it all started! Such a mystery...
A's Mommy wrote:Have you been put on Hibner's appointment cancellation list? If not, I would suggest you do that. You need relief ASAP. If you have an extra tight pelvic floor, he may want to put you through Botox trials before you potentially have surgery. He is very careful as to whom he does surgery on. Maybe you can find a doctor closer to where you live that would do Botox on you. Sometimes, even with an entrapment, Botox can help a bit.
I am on Hibner's cancellation list. I need to call back more frequentyly to make sure nothing has changed though. I see a urogyno 3 hours away who does Botox, but she doesn't think I will benefit from botox because I had trigger point injections and they did nothing and my pelvic floor muscles aren't horribly spasmed. But I don't know.
A's Mommy wrote: wish I could be of more help, just ice and heat, and try to take a muscle relaxant (I use oral Valium).
I ice a lot. I want an Rx for Valium supositories because I have taken Ativan (similar to Valium just shorter acting) and it does help some just makes me REALLY sleepy. So maybe the supository would be less systemic. Does the oral valium not make you drowsy?
Lernica wrote:I get relief by applying a lidocaine\neurontin ointment on my rectum before and after bms. Very helpful.
This sounds like it would be helpful. Good idea. I do have lidocaine ointment I guess I could try that, but it isn't just external burning it's internal so I don't know if it would help as much.
2020 - big flare up
Faith

Post by Faith »

So is it common to have loose stools with PN too? Or at least do others struggle with that on here. I've been struggling with loose stools for a while now.
2020 - big flare up
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

I have heard that loose stools or even fecal incontinence can happen with PN.

This disease is so darn complex.
:twisted:
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Constipation is more of an issue for me. I rarely have loose stools.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

The most important thing to remember is to not get constipated......thats when the spasms to go are huge.....I eat a lot of fibre and even so some foods make things much worse like beans etc.....but if i dont eat enough veggies then I am in big spasms every morning. Normally I eat copious amounts of veggies and seeds in my bread to keep the system flowing..if not the spasms are terrible with intense burning after a BM...arghhhh!!
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”