How does weight lifting affect the pudendal nerve?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
A's Mommy

Re: How does weight lifting affect the pudendal nerve?

Post by A's Mommy »

Celeste wrote:
I think you're doing the right thing; so many people have been relieved of symptoms by surgery, and you've tried everything there is. I think you'd be making a big mistake not to try surgery just because of what an MRI said. To me, the pain speaks louder than the MRI.

I am one of those 2 people who are members of these forums whose MRI findings were validated by the surgery. But, I wholeheartedly agree with Celeste. The MRI may prove to be a diagnostic tool, but you can't go running away scared of surgery if your MRI findings are "negative." The pain does speak louder than the MRI, and I'm glad that the PNE docs, including Hibner, are still basing the decision to do surgery not just on MRI results but on clinical findings and patient symptoms. There needs to be more than just me and RJR.
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
shljk

Post by shljk »

Thanks for the votes of confidence! Surgery is certainly a scary thing to consider for anyone no matter how many tests are performed and assurances given. However, I will say that I very, very much wanted the MRI to show an entrapment and was very upset when it didn't -- I do understand the very desperate wish that all of us have for a true, unequivocal reason for our pain.

As far as the question of weightlifting and PN/PNE goes, I would be surprised if weightlifting, over a sustained period of time, didn't cause PN/PNE problems for some because of the "baring down" or incorrect tensing of abdominal muscles leading to an increase in intra-abdominal pressure and strain on the pelvic floor that can happen when people are lifting weights. Sorta like childbirth or constipation, both of which have been identified as causes of PN.
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

As far as the question of weightlifting and PN/PNE goes, I would be surprised if weightlifting, over a sustained period of time, didn't cause PN/PNE problems for some because of the "baring down" or incorrect tensing of abdominal muscles leading to an increase in intra-abdominal pressure and strain on the pelvic floor that can happen when people are lifting weights. Sorta like childbirth or constipation, both of which have been identified as causes of PN.
I wholeheartedly agree! And when your pelvis and coccyx are misaligned as mine were, there's all the more trauma to the pelvic floor.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
scaredgal

Post by scaredgal »

shljk wrote:As far as the question of weightlifting and PN/PNE goes, I would be surprised if weightlifting, over a sustained period of time, didn't cause PN/PNE problems for some because of the "baring down" or incorrect tensing of abdominal muscles leading to an increase in intra-abdominal pressure and strain on the pelvic floor that can happen when people are lifting weights. Sorta like childbirth or constipation, both of which have been identified as causes of PN.
Interesting theory - but, there has to be some underlying pathology. Too many people lift weights who never get PN. And I would be pretty certain that many of them are not doing it properly (ie., stabilizing their core, etc) when doing it. Nor is the average person usually biomechanically without flaw, and few exercise without training error.

I think this would be an interesting study - how many professionally trained athletes get PN? Think about professional football players - what they put their body through. I've never heard of a football player with PN (of course, pain in the genitals is not something I would imagine they would talk about - lol). They get a lot of other overuse injuries and impact injuries, but one thing that is emphasized in professional sports training is stabilization - not only of the core muscles, but even stabilization of other muscles that are used (example: they don't do a lot of bench pressing or delt work without also strengthening the rotator cuff (SITS) muscles. )

Most recreational athletes (and sadly many trainers) are doing things like sit-ups ad infinitum - never ever realizing that this six pack they are creating has little to do with true core strength from the transversus abdominus, multifidus and the pelvic floor/pelvic sling.
JODDY

Post by JODDY »

I have never done any weight lifting and I have PNE. In fact, I have never done any of the the things that cause PNE.
(High mileage bicycle riding, long distance truck driving,and chronic constipation).
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

scaredgal wrote: I really don't think weightlifting causes PN (IMHO), but the million dollar question is, what does?
Right, I agree....there has to be some other underlying pathology because not everyone who lifts weights will develop PNE. I am 99% certain that weightlifting was what triggered my PNE but I think I had some genetic musculoskeletal predisposition to developing it. Some of the theories I've seen are a tight ligamental grip, genetic collagen deficiency in the ligaments, a genetic deficiency in the myelin sheath.....etc. Or it could be a combination of a bunch of different factors.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
richtera

Post by richtera »

What weight lifting/exercise routine should I follow as a beginner? I am 6' and 200lbs. I am joining a gym and want to know what's best for exercise and weight lifting for just normal toning up and maybe some belly loss. The gym has treadmills, elipticals, etc and weight area that I know nothing about...Any help in both or either is appreciated! Including how often a week to do it and any rotations. I've never worked out before, but am generally not weak.
Lola2

Post by Lola2 »

richtera wrote:What weight lifting/exercise routine should I follow as a beginner? I am 6' and 200lbs. I am joining a gym and want to know what's best for exercise and weight lifting for just normal toning up and maybe some belly loss. The gym has treadmills, elipticals, etc and weight area that I know nothing about...Any help in both or either is appreciated! Including how often a week to do it and any rotations. I've never worked out before, but am generally not weak.
?
Wrong forum.

Lola2
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Richterra,

Regarding weightlifting, I think that lunges and squats tend to be a major culprit in patients who develop pudendal neuralgia. Anything that puts undue stress on the pelvic floor or on the SI joints/ligaments could be a risk. The elliptical has a lot of repetitive hip motion that could be a problem and the exercise bike requires a lot of sitting which could also be a problem. It's good that you are thinking about these risks before starting out. I wish I had known more about the risks before I tried weightlifting.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

This is the correct answer to this question. Weight lifting can cause hernias!!!!! I wish a doctor would've check me for one 3 years ago. Pregnancy, childbirth, and costipation can also cause hernias. This is the article that should've been posted in this thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/healt ... hare&_r=1&
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”