Pudendal nerve block scheduled for the first time

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Violet M

Re: Pudendal nerve block scheduled for the first time

Post by Violet M »

matthewroots77 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:48 pm When we spoke a while ago you mentioned that you had regular bathroom visits caused by PN,if you doing mind me asking but how often were you going and was you going alot during the night also did you feel a constant urge to want to go?
Hi Matthew,

To answer your question - about 6 times a night as I recall. It's been 20 years ago so I can't remember for sure, but it was either a constant urge to go or a very frequent urge, depending on whether I was having a bad day or a good day.

Sorry to hear you are still searching for the right diagnosis.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
matthewroots77

Post by matthewroots77 »

Thanks violet appreciate your time
Balenul

Post by Balenul »

adelphos2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:25 am Violet,

Not all pudendal neuralgia is nerve entrapment. Nerve entrapment can be constant (with pain which does not go away with lying down and sleep) or only exertion of pressure or traction on the nerve with certain postures, movements or pressure against the perineum. The NANTES criteria have their limitations and there is discussion to revise them. It is the current diagnostic criteria though.
Even simple Pn can be constant if the pudendal is very inflamed....is complicated sadly
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Balenul wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:06 pm Even simple Pn can be constant if the pudendal is very inflamed....is complicated sadly
Yes, it was pretty much constant once I was in full-blown PN. It can completely take over your life.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
matthewroots77

Post by matthewroots77 »

HI Violet

I going to have a nerve block as nothing is helping I've had loads of pt and manipulation on the coccyx as it was a little tight but has not made it better or worse.

Just a question as I know you have had a nerve block
If the pudendal nerve is not causing the pain when they block it will it still cause the nerve to flare up ?
Just trying to understand what to expect

Many thanks Matthew
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

matthewroots77 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:17 pm
If the pudendal nerve is not causing the pain when they block it will it still cause the nerve to flare up ?
It could. It might depend partly on what medication they use in the nerve block. Typically, they use an anesthetic like marcaine which causes a temporary loss in sensation and some pain relief for a few hours if the medication reaches the nerve as planned. That would be diagnostic for whether it is the pudendal nerve that is likely causing your pain. If they use a steroid in addition to an anesthetic, the steroid can actually cause a flare-up several days later, that can last for a few days or even weeks.

You might want to look at the publication I posted recently that gives new guidelines for pudendal nerve blocks. Here is a link to what I posted: viewtopic.php?t=11593

Good luck with the nerve block if you go ahead with it. My thoughts are that pudendal nerve blocks can be valuable for diagnostic purposes, but I don't know of many people who had permanent relief from them.

Violet
matthewroots77

Post by matthewroots77 »

Hi violet
Thanks for your reply only reason I'm have a nerve block is to hopefully find out if it's causing all my issues as no one I've seen has been able to help with a diagnosis
My pain is very suttlle and more of an irritation feeling I actually have more urinary symptoms than anything tbh
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

That's a very valid reason to have a nerve block. Most people don't get worse so I don't think you have to go into it being overly worried. A lot of people with pudendal neuralgia have urinary symptoms because the pudendal nerve innervates the external urethral sphincter.

Anyway, wishing you luck with it, and I hope it helps you to clarify your situation.

Violet
valentino88

Post by valentino88 »

matthewroots77 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:17 pm HI Violet

I going to have a nerve block as nothing is helping I've had loads of pt and manipulation on the coccyx as it was a little tight but has not made it better or worse.

Just a question as I know you have had a nerve block

Many thanks Matthew
If the pudendal nerve is not causing the pain, the block may not provide relief. In some cases, the block may even cause a temporary flare-up of pain. However, this is not a guarantee, and the outcome can vary from personto person.
matthewroots77

Post by matthewroots77 »

Violet M wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:22 am That's a very valid reason to have a nerve block. Most people don't get worse so I don't think you have to go into it being overly worried. A lot of people with pudendal neuralgia have urinary symptoms because the pudendal nerve innervates the external urethral sphincter.

Anyway, wishing you luck with it, and I hope it helps you to clarify your situation.

Violet
Hi violet
Just wanted to ask a question as you have probably seen alot of posts on the site and seen many different symptoms.
One of my main symptoms is a cold feeling at the tip of the penis,which seems to be worst b4 and after urinating I feel it causes alot of the irritation feeling.
Have you ever seen this with PN

Thanks Matthew

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”