My Experience: Cycling & Pudendal Neuralgia/Chronic Pelvic Pain

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
CeladonCity

My Experience: Cycling & Pudendal Neuralgia/Chronic Pelvic Pain

Post by CeladonCity »

Hi everyone.

I’m new here. I wanted to seek out support from this community given what I’ve been dealing with. I’ve been struggling with pelvic pain for about a year now. I’d like to share my experience with pelvic pain here in hopes that others might find it helpful.

Here’s a little bit about me, for context:
  • I’m a male in my early 30s living in the Atlanta area.
  • Prior to this I mostly did not have physical health issues, although I have struggled with anxiety in the past (I was on a low dose of Lexapro daily from 2015-2022).
  • I work from home at a computer in an often a high-stress job.
TLDR:
  • I began experiencing symptoms consistent with pudendal neuralgia/levator ani syndrome ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levator_ani_syndrome ) after about a year of relatively intense bike riding.
  • I’ve undergone treatments including physical therapy, medication, and nerve block injections but as of yet I have not experienced relief.
Here’s the timeline of my symptoms and treatment:
  • I purchased a bike in March 2022 and began riding regularly in April of that year. I participated in group rides 1-2 times a week which were each typically around 2 hours long. I would also ride on my own 1-2 times a week for approximately 45 minutes-2 hours at a time.
  • In April of 2022, I began tapering off my anxiety medication (Lexapro/escitalopram). I stopped taking it entirely in the beginning of May 2022.
  • By October 2022 I was beginning to notice symptoms in my pelvis/abdomen. This was primarily on the left side of my pelvis, focused on the inner thigh where the leg meets the pelvis, as well as the left side of the scrotum. Sensations were of heat and throbbing/dull ache. Pain was increased with sitting and reduced when lying down. I thought this was due to a varicocele ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicocele ).
  • Paused most biking in November 2022.
  • By December 2022 — January 2023, I had seen 2 urologists and had imaging done (ultrasound). Identified very mild varicocele in left testicle, nothing significant enough that it should be causing me much pain. Urologists advised managing with ibuprofen and trying different underwear. I had also begun to notice odd sensations of heaviness in the center rear of the pelvis (what I would later learn is the pelvic floor), but this was not noticeable enough at the time for me to understand/investigate as I was focused on the suspected varicocele.
  • Started biking again in January 2023. Rode ~120 total miles in January, ~100 miles in February, and ~180 miles in March.
  • In March I began experimenting with different bike saddles as I suspected a saddle/bike fit issue.
  • By the end of March of 2023, my symptoms had shifted and were no longer focused on the frontal left side of my pelvis. This is when I began to get nervous researching perineum/pelvic floor/pudendal nerve issues that can arise from cycling, however I wasn’t ready to give up my hobby. I had made friends and found a sense of community with others riders and spent a good amount of money on my bike setup at this point.
  • I dialed back my riding in April (only about 35 miles) and continued to experiment with different saddles. I rode ~115 miles in May. Some saddles made the frontal pelvic pain worse, some reduced it. I bought a suspension seatpost thinking that bumps from the road might be exacerbating the issues.
  • Mid-June 2023 is when I finally realized I needed to stop riding. Symptoms had become significant and consistent enough by this time that I needed to test whether taking a break from riding would help. I began tracking my pelvic discomfort/pain using a spreadsheet. By this point my symptoms included:
    • Involuntary twitching of the pelvic floor (specifically the muscle above the anus and below the tailbone). After too much time twitching this would cause fatigue of the muscle which felt like burning, or a feeling of fullness/heaviness as if I needed to defecate, even when I didn’t actually need to.
    • Pain in the sit bones when sitting (bilateral, so on both sides) — as if I was sitting directly on my bones or nerves, with no padding.
    • Pain was always low in the morning and worsened throughout the day.
    • Lying down/sitting on the toilet would provide some relief.
    • This pain or discomfort was consistently in the 3-5 range out of 10, but could spike up to 6-7 if I had to sit a lot (such as on flights) or was low on sleep.
  • I went to Pelvic Rehabilitation Medicine ( https://pelvicrehabilitation.com ) in July and saw Dr. Yogita Tailor. She recommended PT, suppositories (diazepam/bacflofen/gabapentin), and a series of nerve block injections. I was not ready for the injections yet due to cost and apprehension about the procedure, but I did start taking the suppositories as needed.
  • In August 2023 I began physical therapy with a pelvic floor physical therapist. I have been in PT with the same therapist since then.
    • My PT has consisted of stretches and strengthening/relaxation exercises, massage of the glutes/sit bone area, cupping, one session of dry needling (did not noticeably help and I dislike needles, although I might revisit this), and some internal muscle examination/maniupulation of the pelvic floor.
  • Symptoms stayed about the same through December 2023. This is when I decided to revisit Pelvic Rehabilitation Medicine and proceed with the recommended course of 6 nerve block injections. I started injections mid-December and had the last one on in mid-January. At Dr. Tailor’s recommendation, I began using the suppositories nightly during this time period (previously I had only been taking them during flareups of pain).
    • A note about the injections: The injections were of a lidocaine/steroid combination. At each appointment, 2 injections were done on each side of my pelvis targeting different nerve/muscle groups each time. So one appointment would only be for the right side, then the next would be for the left side, etc. for a total of 3 injections on the left side and 3 injections on the right side. I never had both sides numbed at once.
    • Injections did not help me much. Lidocaine certainly numbed me for a few hours after the injection, however once this wore off I mostly felt achiness from the needle. Pelvic floor twitching continued regardless of the injections. For a few days after some of the injections (I believe the 4th and the 5th), sit bone pain was noticeably, although not completely, reduced.
  • On January 19th, I began taking duloxetine 30mg daily at Dr. Tailor’s recommendation to help with nerve pain/anxiety.
  • On January 30th, I began tapering off the suppositories (only taking them every other day).
Where my symptoms stand as of today:
  • Pressure and stabbing pain in the sit bones when sitting (on any surface but especially on hard surfaces).
  • Involuntary, rapid twitching of the muscle between the tailbone and anus (pelvic floor muscle) during/after sitting and/or during periods of stress and anxiety.
  • Occasional sharp, stabbing pain near the sit bones when I sit too much or shift in my seat.
  • During/after periods of pelvic floor twitching, I experience burning pain in the pelvic floor. Also experience fatigue of the pelvic floor as if it is holding a heavy load. Feeling like I need to defecate even when I don’t.
  • Sitting on hard surfaces (benches, bleachers, un-padded chairs) results in increased pain for the following 24-48 hours. Typically a tingling/burning nerve pain on the interior sides of both of the sit bones.
  • Pain is relieved/reduced by sitting on the toilet or by lying down, especially on my stomach.
  • Sit bone pain was reduced in the days after the nerve block injections. Pelvic floor twitching was not affected.
  • Pain is higher in periods of high stress and anxiety.
  • Occasional, momentary muscle twitches extend to the front of the pelvic floor (at the base of the scrotum) and the back of the legs and inner thighs. These are just momentary tremors, not continuous twitching.
  • I do still have the occasional frontal left pelvic pain, (what I initially thought was a varicocele). This comes and goes and is usually fairly mild at this point, but it is exacerbated by too much walking/standing or by stretching the front of my pelvis too much (such as lying down on my stomach with pillows until my chest).
Things I’ve tried:
  • I have a standing desk, which has been a huge help with this issue, although not a solution.
  • I’ve tried several seat cushions, however I can’t sit comfortably with any of them for more than a few minutes. I have an Aeron chair at home, which is very uncomfortable with no seat cushion.
  • I also have an exercise ball that I sometimes sit/roll on, although this is not much more helpful than the cushions (can sometimes help with massaging the pelvic floor muscle, however).
  • PT exercises done on my own typically help release the muscle tension/twitching for at least 1-2 hours afterwards.
  • Biofeedback/conscious relaxation of pelvic floor muscle. This does not always help with the twitching as I’m sometimes unable to stop it.
My self-diagnosis:
  • I suspect pudendal nerve entrapment due to scar tissue/ligament thickening due to extensive riding on a bike that was not properly fitted for me. I believe my saddle was too high and I was riding with bad posture. I was sitting too far forward on my saddle and with my back arched inwards instead of outwards, which was putting a lot of pressure on soft tissue in my pelvis.
  • I suspect the frontal pelvic pain is more of a muscle injury, although it might also have a nerve/entrapment component. The frontal pelvic pain has improved since I stopped cycling, although it can still flare with a lot of standing/walking.
  • I also believe stress/anxiety is a factor, especially for the pelvic floor twitching. When I got off my anxiety meds I was at a fairly stable point in my life, but I’ve experienced significant stress in the last year, not to mention all the anxiety that this condition has caused me (more on this below). I think getting back on anxiety medication has been the right choice, thought it hasn’t significantly affected my symptoms as of yet.
  • I believe I’ve always had an overactive pelvic floor in retrospect, as nowadays I often notice myself involuntarily tensing my pelvic floor when moving (or even when still). It did not bother me in the past as the rest of my pelvic region was healthy, but I think now it contributes to the muscle feeling fatigued/overworked.
How all this has affected me:

This has been the most challenging health issue I’ve ever faced. I’ve been lucky in that I’ve typically been physically health before this, but I’ve long been sensitive to (real or perceived) health issues, probably due to the aforementioned anxiety that I’ve struggled with. When I suspected this was a varicocele I was very stressed about the idea of my fertility being affected, having to live with the pain forever, the possibility of requiring surgery, etc. While I no longer believe this is due to a varicocele, I’m still struggling with those same questions. There’s been a surreal aspect to this entire experience, where I almost can’t believe that this has happened to me and that this is my life now, even with the amount of time that has passed.

I underwent a difficult separation from biking and the cycling community. I lost a hobby that brought me joy and that I had begun to incorporate into my identity. I had made friends with other cyclists and shared this interest with other friends of mine. I found a sense of community in cycling and I lost that.

I struggled very much (and still do) with guilt in feeling that this is a self-inflicted injury which has cost me so much time and money and has so reduced my quality of life. I sometimes blame myself for not being more careful going into biking, etc. I know this is a negative line of thinking, that there’s no way I could have known, etc. but I can’t help going there in my mind sometimes.

The lack of treatment providers for this issue who know anything about, let alone specialize in, pelvic pain for men has also been a major challenge. Urologists do not specialize in pelvic nerve issues, and most chronic pain treatment is orthopedic or for the spine/back. Women can typically turn to an OB/GYN for pelvic pain, but there does not seem to be a particular type of doctor for men to start with when experiencing this issue.

I was secretive and closed off about my condition to most of my friends and family until recently. I felt that this was a very personal issue that most people wouldn’t understand, and I wasn’t sure if it was something that would go away on its own. However given my continued struggles, in the last few weeks I’ve begun opening up to friends and family about this, which has been difficult in some ways but mostly a huge relief. Struggling with this on my own, with only the support of my wife and my care team, was very difficult.

My pain and discomfort bothers me daily. This condition has changed some things about me in ways that I really dislike. I’m more sedentary. I’m much more of a homebody as I’m reluctant to go out to restaurants/bars/coffee shops for long due to wanting to avoid sitting on hard surfaces. I don’t see friends as often these days for the same reason. I tend to sleep more (or I try to) because sleeping is the main time when I do not experience pain or discomfort. Pain and discomfort have been a distraction at work and get worse when work is stressful.

All of that said, I’ve tried not to give up hope and to treat this as a temporary health problem that I’ll eventually overcome through treatment and my body healing itself. I have better days and worse days, but I try to avoid believing this is something that I’ll be dealing with forever. Despite all the challenges, I’m also grateful that my symptoms aren’t worse (no incontinence or sexual issues). I try to be brave and keep seeking treatment, even when it seems scary or intimidating (as injections initially did, and as the idea of surgery does).

I’m grateful to anyone who’s taken the time to read all of this, and if you’re experiencing your own pudendal neuralgia/chronic pelvic pain, know that you’re not alone.

What’s next for me, treatment-wise:
  • I’m currently investigating having an MRI done to rule out anything that might have been missed (hernia, some sort of pelvic floor muscle issue, tailbone injury, etc.)
  • Dr. Tailor is recommending that I see an orthopedic/spinal doctor next, although I’m somewhat skeptical about this as he does not specialize in pelvic issues and probably is not familiar with pudendal neuralgia.
  • I’m planning to increase my duloxetine dose to 60mg as I’m still experiencing pain and anxiety symptoms. Apparently 60mg is the typical dose and I have been on a low dose ( https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... g-20067247 ).
  • I’m investigating consulting with Dr. Hibner at AZCCPP ( https://azccpp.com/ ), although this will be costly and time-consuming.
I’m happy to answer any questions about my experience or things I’ve tried. Also open to any recommendations.

I’ll try to come back and update this thread in the future with my progress — perhaps not with the play-by-play, but with any major updates.

P.S.: Notes to other cyclists, especially new ones:
happyman

Re: My Experience: Cycling & Pudendal Neuralgia/Chronic Pelvic Pain

Post by happyman »

It is upsetting to read that gabapentin, duloxetine, and nerve blocks have been unable to help you find relief.
My pain and discomfort bothers me daily. This condition has changed some things about me in ways that I really dislike. I’m more sedentary. I’m much more of a homebody as I’m reluctant to go out to restaurants/bars/coffee shops for long due to wanting to avoid sitting on hard surfaces. I don’t see friends as often these days for the same reason. I tend to sleep more (or I try to) because sleeping is the main time when I do not experience pain or discomfort. Pain and discomfort have been a distraction at work and get worse when work is stressful.
This is something I am all too familiar with myself. Ill be around if you feel like you ever need someone to talk/vent to. While I cant offer a solution, I just want to say you've inspired me today with your rational and positive line of thinking. Keep fighting
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hello Celadon City,

Thanks for that detailed description -- you have certainly done a lot of research on this topic. It sounds like you have a well thought out plan and some good instincts for what is going on.

There were several places in your description where I said to myself, wow, that sounds exactly like the pain I experienced -- where you said, "This was primarily on the left side of my pelvis, focused on the inner thigh where the leg meets the pelvis". Also, where you said, "Typically a tingling/burning nerve pain on the interior sides of both of the sit bones" -- both of those comments describe pretty much what I felt (only mine was mostly on the right side).

It's normal to feel some guilt about contributing to this yourself. I certainly felt a lot of that because my PN problems were caused by exercise, and by not stopping soon enough. But really, how many people in the world have ever even heard of pudendal neuralgia? I certainly hadn't! So eventually I quit beating myself up over it. I hope you can forgive yourself cause in reality it's not your fault. You were just trying to be healthy and be with a community of friends. I'm sorry you have lost that community. Pelvic pain can be pretty isolating.

I wish you success with your future treatments and hope to hear some good news from you in the future. ;)

Violet
Last edited by Violet M on Sun May 12, 2024 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
AZfishing_guy

Post by AZfishing_guy »

Hi CeladonCity ,

I am new to this forum and was just searching through some posts, what you have described, especially below is almost exactly what I have been experiencing over the last 4 months while things feel like they are getting worse with time.

How are you doing now? find any solutions or anything that helps the twitching subside?
Involuntary twitching of the pelvic floor (specifically the muscle above the anus and below the tailbone). After too much time twitching this would cause fatigue of the muscle which felt like burning, or a feeling of fullness/heaviness as if I needed to defecate, even when I didn’t actually need to.
Pain in the sit bones when sitting (bilateral, so on both sides) — as if I was sitting directly on my bones or nerves, with no padding.
Pain was always low in the morning and worsened throughout the day.
Lying down/sitting on the toilet would provide some relief.
This pain or discomfort was consistently in the 3-5 range out of 10, but could spike up to 6-7 if I had to sit a lot (such as on flights) or was low on sleep.
CeladonCity

Post by CeladonCity »

Hi everyone,

It’s been quite a while! For anyone who may be interested, I wanted to come back and share some updates on how I’m doing now.

TLDR
All in all my quality of life has improved quite a lot since my first post. I’m riding bikes again (but only a little right now). I’m much less sensitive when it comes to sitting, and I have much less fear and anxiety about my condition. I’m not sure how much longer it will take, but I’m hopeful that I will eventually be fully recovered.

Not too long after my first post, I noticed a marked improvement in my condition. I believe this was due to a combination of factors:
  1. I experienced a change in mindset. I came to believe that my condition had more to do with my posture and how I was holding stress in my body. I continued to believe that I had suffered a physical injury, but that my condition was improving and that there were other adjustments I could make to help that process along. I stopped believing that my body had been permanently damaged.
  2. Healing with the passage of time. This condition has been very slow to improve, but I believe it has been improving over time, and I think this is why I started to see improvement around February 2024.
  3. Meds taking effect. The duloxetine that I started in January began to take effect in February, and helped significantly with my mood. It may have had an impact on the pain as well. But it became much easier to disentangle myself from the spiral of pain/worrying about pain.
Some more timeline:
  • I did not end up going to any new doctors or pursuing any kind of surgical treatments, due to the progress I mentioned above. I also did not end up increasing my duloxetine dosage.
  • Also in mid-February, I stopped using a cushion on my Aeron. I realized that all of the cushioning was doing more harm than good. I remember I felt distinctly “unstable” or unsupported with all of the cushions I had used, and I wanted to find a seat that was not overly cushioned, but also not too hard the way my Aeron is.
  • I ordered a new office chair (Steelcase Amia) at the end of February, to replace my Herman Miller Aeron. It ended up not working out. The chair felt like it had too much cushioning and was compressing my soft tissue. It caused a flare in my pain. I ended up returning it around the end of March.
  • I traveled for work at the end of February (very rare occurrence for me). I was worried ahead of time because it would be sitting for the whole workday for a week, in a classroom setting in a probably-uncomfortable chair. I made arrangements ahead of time to allow me to switch between sitting and standing during the sessions. But overall this trip ended up not being so bad.
  • In mid-March I had an MRI done of my lower back and pelvis, and nothing unusual was found.
  • I bought another new chair (Herman Miller Embody) and started using it beginning of May. It’s not perfect, but I find that it’s better than my previous chairs and provides a good combination of firmness and cushioning.
  • Throughout this time I began sitting on my bike, stationary, for 10 minutes at a time to get my body used to it again.
  • I continued pelvic PT throughout this time. In June, my PT noted that I had achieved all of the goals we set out when we started.
  • I had a six-month follow-up appointment with Dr. Tailor at Pelvic Rehabilitation Medicine in June. I received clearance to start biking again, but to be very careful and pay close attention to how my body was responding.
  • Not long after (late June), I scheduled a bike fit. It was expensive, and I was ultimately disappointed with it. The process seemed most geared towards optimizing my performance on the bike, rather than optimizing for comfort. I immediately had a flare-up in pain and symptoms after some time sitting on my bike after it had been adjusted. I quickly changed my bike’s configuration back. Money wasted, unfortunately.
  • I started taking small bike rides, 20-30 minutes, once a week or so since then. I haven’t noticed any significant changes in my condition since.
Where I am today (August 2024)
  • I’m still not 100%, but I’m much less bothered by my pelvic pain and discomfort on a daily basis. It’s still something I notice much of the time, especially during the workday when I sit more than usual. But my average pain has gone down from 4 at the start of the year to 2 most of the time now. Sometimes I forget about it completely, which never used to happen.
  • Stress and lack of sleep are absolutely the greatest contributors to my pelvic pain and discomfort at this point. I do much better when I'm rested and not stressed.
  • I no longer have any fear or anxiety about sitting, whether it’s in cars, planes, restaurants, etc.
  • I have much greater control of my pelvic floor (I believe this was developed through PT and greater physical awareness of my body). Twitching is vastly reduced, and when it does occur I can usually consciously relax my body to eliminate it.
  • I continue to see my PT every 2 weeks, and I have a PT routine that I follow almost daily. I might stop seeing my PT in the next ~1 month or so if my condition remains stable.
Thanks to anyone reading this, and thank you to those who replied (happyman, Violet, and AZfishing_guy). I hope my story can serve as some encouragement to anyone struggling with this condition.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for the update in how you are doing. You have certainly been very pro-active so it's good to see that it is paying off, even if it is slow going. Wishing you continued improvements!

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”