estrogen & volvodinea burning

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
kat

estrogen & volvodinea burning

Post by kat »

I'm post menapausal and premerin contains alcohol which is bad for women with this condition.

Crisco, the stuff you fry chicken in, can be used on the entire vulva and up to the cervix to moisturize without drying skin.
It also does not contain estrogen for those who are unable to use estrogen or that don't need estrogen in their system.

I personally have been put on a med for vulvodinea and will let you know if it works so I don't waste your time with useless info.

Just want you to know your options as you look for ways to stop the burning.

Loves
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Karyn

Re: estrogen & volvodinea burning

Post by Karyn »

kat wrote:Crisco, the stuff you fry chicken in, can be used on the entire vulva and up to the cervix to moisturize without drying skin.
:o Are you kidding me? :shock: How sanitary can that be?
Also, why are you post menapausal? I thought you just had TIR surgery?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Premarin is a form of hormone replacement therapy - a contentious one because of its source, which I expect we are all aware of. The things it is used to treat include burning, itching, and dryness of the vagina and vulva.

I believe you are talking about the cream formulation. The ingredients are - conjugated estrogens USP in a nonliquefying base containing cetyl esters wax, cetyl alcohol, white wax, glyceryl monostearate, propylene glycol monostearate, methyl stearate, benzyl alcohol, sodium lauryl sulfate, glycerin, and mineral oil.

No alcohol there.

Cetyl alcohol, yes - this is a waxy white solid substance. It has emollient properties, meaning that it softes and soothes the skin. Basically it is a moisturiser.

Benzyl alcohol, yes - this is an organic substance produced by many plants, it has bacteriostatic properties and is an antipruritic. It is used in many intravenous preparations as a bacteriostatic preservative, meaning that it limits bacterial growth. As an antipruritic it inhibits itching.

I am not sure whether you are saying that alcohol is bad for post menopausal women, or whether you are saying that alcohol is bad for vulvodynia. Either way, there is no alcohol as such in premarin.

Crisco at the moment is a blend of soybean oil, fully hydrogenated cottonseed oil, and partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils (thankyou google). If you want to use it internally then I guess it is up to you. It is a bit surprising though. (And so is that list of ingredients.... :shock: )
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Kat,
This is a post you made at the beginning of this month. I lost the title (sorry!) but ...
:?: I'm confused ....

"My friend and I who had internal, vaginal burning, vaginal inflammation, burning with urination and itching have both been cured with estrogen cream.

It take 2 - 3 weeks for estrogen to be absorbed so the samples the docs hand out are not large enough to truly know if it can help you or not.
I have no estrogen in my vaginal goo and due to being very wet by nature all my many OBs never thought of estrogen as a problem.

3 grams of estrogen 3 times daily has cured me of itching, burning, burning with urination, my cervix is soft and moves around again and my vagina is almost an inch deeper due to being able to go in with a dilator and massage and stretch my pelvic floor muscles now that the burning and vaginal inflammation is gone.

Ins. does not cover this amount so I had to fight and have my doc call and OVER RIDE the ins company by explaining my PN issues.

Premarin is what I use in the USA and when I skip a dose the inflammation comes right back along with the burning and itching.

Estrogen cured ALL vaginal issues with me and now I have no chronic burning or itching so I'm sharing so you have you estrogen levels checked and try the cream before doing more drastic things. I had the surgery and needed it, but my friend was like me for 3 years and is now CURED due to estrogen cream.

I just want to share because I thought as long as I was wet I was fine and that IS NOT the case. Wet does not mean estrogen is there to heal and make the skin thick and healthy.

I get burning and itching when I get inflamed by working out or using dilators and that is getting better with time. I wish someone had told me this years ago so I'm telling you now. Please look into it as you search for a cure for the burning."

Loves
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.kat
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
catherine a

Post by catherine a »

I have just recently started using an Estrogen pessary called Vagifem (I tried the cream Ovestin but that made me itch like mad.) It has made a huge difference in the vaginal dryness and I'm not sore in the perineum any more. I had extreme pain and soreness form the skin splitting at the vaginal entrance of the perineum but since using the Vagifem pessary I don't have this problem any more.

As for Premarin, I was taking the oral version until I consulted with a retired female gynaecologist who explained to me that Preamrin taken orally does not deliver enough estrogen to the body due to it being absorbed through the gut and by the time it reaches the blood stream it has lost it's effiency in delivering the correct amount of estrogen. She suggested using the estrogen patch which I place on my tummy and is absorbed through the skin twice per week. It's called Estradot.

I believe my burning, dry, painful issues in the vulva & vagina have resolved because of estrogen use. I am post menopausal being 55 years old but I wonder if some younger women would benefit from using estrogen in this way to help with PN burning.
I'll add this to my list of questions when I see the Docs. in Sydney next month.

Catherine
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”