failed pelvic floor therapy ...

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Marky

failed pelvic floor therapy ...

Post by Marky »

begin this year i started pelvic floor therapy and still got no relief at all ... i'm 4 months into PT and still the same basline pain and symptomes ...

my main symptome is anorectal pain ,
like something is stuck inside with a horrible urgency to defecation/ tenesmus..

its 24/7 pelvic pain without relief ...

is it pudendal neuralgia?
Violet M

Re: failed pelvic floor therapy ...

Post by Violet M »

The inferior rectal branch of the pudendal nerve innervates the anal sphincter. So, it could potentially be pudendal neuralgia. Pain on one area can cause muscles to be tense nearby. Does the PT think it is pudendal related?

The inferior rectal branch can come off of the main trunk of the pudendal nerve differently for different people. For some people it comes off the main branch above the ST/SS ligamental grip while in other people it comes off below that. So a typical pudendal nerve block given at the ischial spine where the main trunk of the nerve runs between the ST and SS ligaments will not necessarily give an accurate diagnosis as to whether the inferior rectal nerve is involved. So it's a bit more tricky to get an accurate diagnosis.

Have you tried any local creams or suppositories with medications such as gabapentin, valium, tinzanidine or ketamine to relieve the pain? Are you able to sleep at night? If not, clonazepam might be helpful. I also have heard of nitroglycerin cream helping rectal symptoms.

Your PT might be able to tell you if a TENS unit would be helpful in relieving some of the spasms. Here is an interesting case study of how it worked for someone with rectal hypersensitivity:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15104377/

A ganglion impar block can be helpful for rectal pain, although as with all invasive procedures there is a slight risk.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
stephanies

Re: failed pelvic floor therapy ...

Post by stephanies »

Marky,

Your symptoms could be pudendal neuralgia. I am familiar with the 24/7 kind of pain you describe and I’m sorry you are dealing with it too. I did years of PT with very knowledgeable therapists and found it only caused my pain to increase. PT can be helpful when muscle tension is the underlying issue but, in my case, not for a nerve issue.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”