Nerve pain more than a year from mastectomy

PNMLT, EMG, SSEP, and other Nerve function testing.
The different techniques, results and opinions.
Imchrisann

Nerve pain more than a year from mastectomy

Post by Imchrisann »

My breast surgeon has stated several times that I have excessive scar tissue. This scar tissue is what I believe to be causing the nerve pain that has gotten worse & is daily & persists over a year since mastectomy in Nov 2022. I've read that nerve entrapment in scar tissue can cause the nerve pain I have, which is burning sensation, tingle, scar area tightness that extends to my side & under left shoulder.blade, with occasional shock-type pain. I think I should see a neurologist for diagnosis & treatment since it is considered a traumatic nerve damage from breast surgery. Am I correct? Would that be the appropriate avenue to seek out for diagnostic testing? I'm uncertain at this point since this nerve pain has worsened to a daily occurrence now. (As a note, I already take 400 mg nightly of gabapentin, a prescription I have from my PCP, & sometimes it helps some & sometimes it doesn't at all. I've also done PT for a while but that has been over for probably 6 months.
Violet M

Re: Nerve pain more than a year from mastectomy

Post by Violet M »

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with nerve pain. I don't really know the answer to your question since this is a forum for people with pelvic pain. I guess some of the principals we discuss on this forum could apply to what you are experiencing. Many of us haven't had much help from neurologists unless they have a specific interest in the type of nerve pain you are experiencing. You could possibly try a pain clinic and see if they can tell you what nerve it is and if they treat that type of pain. If you have scar tissue, sometimes steroid injections can help. If it's not too deep, sometimes cold laser therapy helps with scar tissue. I think that is typically done by naturopathic doctors or chiropractors - I'm not sure. You could also consider seeing a PT to see if mobilization of the scar tissue would help.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
onlysams

Re: Nerve pain more than a year from mastectomy

Post by onlysams »

Hey, it seems like seeing a neurologist might be a good idea given how your symptoms have been getting worse. Keep track of what's been working and what hasn't, like the gabapentin and PT, that could give the neurologist a better idea of what might help.

Return to “NEUROLOGICAL TESTING”