Worse after diagnostic blocks

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Balenul

Worse after diagnostic blocks

Post by Balenul »

Hello.
Monday i had a bilateral pudendal block and after few hours a ganglion of impar block.Both blocks only with anesthetic , i did not felt better after them but i have a flare now , i had a good period and after this blocks i feel worse again.I am abit scared i know blocks with steroids can give you a flare but diagnostic blocks can do this also ? And how long can this flare last ? ( my main problems are urehtral pain and pressure and a constant desire to void ( urethra ).Now this symptoms are much worse after this 2 blocks :(
April

Re: Worse after diagnostic blocks

Post by April »

Hi Balenul,

I've only heard about (and only received) blocks that included both the numbing agent and the steroid, and those do often give a temporary flare (mine did). But, I guess I'm not that surprised that the numbing agent alone gave you a flare. It seems like the needle and/or substance could irritate the nerve. My flares from blocks (with a steroid) usually lasted a few days. You could try heat (vinyl heating pad) and/or ice in the meantime.

April
Violet M

Re: Worse after diagnostic blocks

Post by Violet M »

Hi Balenul,

I had flares that lasted several weeks after my nerve blocks. Mine had kenalog (a steroid) and marcaine in them. Did yours have any steroid in them?
It's pretty typical to have flares after a nerve block so I hope this flare will be temporary for you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”