PN & Periods (sorry guys ladies only)

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
peaches

PN & Periods (sorry guys ladies only)

Post by peaches »

Got a question:-

Do you think that your PN pain is worse some how when your period arrives or during certain times of your mentral cycle?

I find it dificult to tell as I don't have periods anymore (used Mirena for 10 year), am 53 and propably going the the change of life as well, so I'm confused, but I wonder if my flare ups could be linked?

What experiences have others had which may help me to figure this one out?

Thanks
Peaches
PN diagnosed in 2009 by Dr Greenslade, Bristol
Symptoms for many years and numerous diagnostic tests
Currently controlled by meds - Venlafaxine and Lyrica
KC17

Re: PN & Periods (sorry guys ladies only)

Post by KC17 »

Peaches,

I have certainly found a correlation between my periods and my pain flares. I typically get progressively worse a couple days leading up to my period and then throughout, which all total can be about 7 days.

I describe my pain during this period as a raw achy feeling and the zaps I experience are much more frequent. On average I get 15 zaps in a day normally, during my period I estimate that I probably get double that number.

Hope this helps,

Krista
Pain started suddenly April 2010.
3T MRI w/ Dr. Potter, January 2011 shows bilateral impingement of the dorsal nerve of the clitoris.

Unsure what to do next because my pelvis is a mess.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

you could track your flares on a calendar and see if they are running in monthly cycles...I have minor flares during that time of the months and before I had PN, I had interstitial cystitis flares at that same time. I don't understand the physiology behind it but since women with no pathology often get period cramps, isn't pelvic muscular tension increased during menstruation (?)
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

I definitely get flare ups. I need to get on a pill that stops my periods asap. Not for birth control of course... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Peaches, increased pain at certain times of the month have been a very common complaint of women with PN over the years that I've been on the forums. Mine was always worst just before and at the beginning of my period.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

Yep. Pain increases as period nears and then during. My fibromyalgia symptoms also increases cyclically.

Emily B.
jennyp

Post by jennyp »

Just adding my experiences, my periods are really interlinked with my PN issues. The pain (used to be) much worse just before and during my period. I also used to get bleeding between periods. Since I've had the nerve blocks and successful neuromodulation my periods are vitrually pain free (rather than crippling like before) and also I have much lighter periods and no bleeding in between. I think PN and period link isn't well known or acknowledged.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Jenny,

I'm happy the nerve blocks have seemed to work for you!!! Where did you have them done? Since you're new to the site, mind me asking what caused your PN?

Best wishes for a speedy healing,

A's Mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
Faith

Post by Faith »

Oh yes! I personally think hormones and PN pain are closely related. There are for me at least. My pain all started with major hormonal changes in my life (pregnancy, breastfeeding and return of periods). I have pain sometimes from ovulation until my period starts. Why I don't understand. I think there is increased venous dilitation during ovulation and just before your period which puts extra pressure on the muscles and pudendal nerve I think. I think it's pelvic congestion.
jennyp wrote:Since I've had the nerve blocks and successful neuromodulation my periods are vitrually pain free

I'd like to know more about your neuromodulation jennyp if you would share. Also what your pain is like in general now. Can you sit/function on a day to day basis?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
jennyp

Post by jennyp »

Thanks for the queries RE: neuromodulation. I've posted my experiences on the "New person" forum under my original post for those that are interested.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”