Pudendal Nerve Block Question

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
dinamix

Pudendal Nerve Block Question

Post by dinamix »

Hello,

I have been suffering from pelvic pain (chronic penis tip and perineum pain) for over a year now. After many courses of antibiotics, a cystoscopy and physiotherapy, I was recently accepted into a pain clinic. The doctor suggested it could be pudendal nerve entrapment and I was given a pudendal nerve block a few days ago. The block was ultrasound guided and was performed with lidocaine and steroids. The only thing I experienced was my leg becoming completely numb and then sore for about a day. I did not experience any significant numbness around the perineum or penile area. Based on what I've read on these forums, this does not seem normal and I was wondering what everyone thought about this. Was my penis and perineum supposed to be become numb? Does this mean that I do not have pudendal nerve entrapment or that the nerve block was performed incorrectly?
Violet M

Re: Pudendal Nerve Block Question

Post by Violet M »

When I had my nerve blocks, the doctor checked a little while after the block to see if the distribution area of the pudendal nerve had any loss of sensation, in order to determine if the block was effective.

Sometimes the medication reaches the sciatic nerve and causes temporary numbess in the leg. Sounds like that's what might have happened to you. I would be concerned if there was no temporary loss of sensation at all in the distribution area of the pudendal nerve. Ii'm sorry your block didn't turn out as you had hoped.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”