BACK AGAIN, SCARED

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
clo236

Re: BACK AGAIN, SCARED

Post by clo236 »

Hey guys,

So i'm after doing a 30 minute powerwalk today, my pain actually was very low this morning nearly couldnt feel it (how lucky), but after this powerwalk its about a 4 which would be quite usual for me. I'm so frustrated it wasnt even a full strenous walk, my aim was to do about half an hour every day because im studying at the minute so that means alot of lying down on my bed.

I dont what to do I thought a faster walk would be ok. I was really wanting to lose about 3lbs from all this Christmas eating and I cant do that lying on the sofa haha. Plus I really need something that would be good for my anxiety,
My pain seems to be mostly the right hand side of my perineum almost feels like it is connected to where my inner leg joins.
I have to go back to the doctor at the end of jan anyway and she was thinking of switching me from lyrica to gabapentin, would this make a difference to my pain during exercise?

Im planning on asking my mum for a loan aswell that I can pay her back in the future for physio but i dont think I would be able to get that on the NHS. I know its common enough in America, what would I be expecting the pelvic physio to do. If things go to plan maybe I could start that in Feb or after I changed tablets

Thanks,

Chlo xxx
make-it-stop

Post by make-it-stop »

I really can't emphasize enough how important physio would be. It sounds like your pain could be coming from tight muscles in the pelvic area, and a physio should be able to relax the muscles using internal trigger point therapy and also relaxing the fascia/taking the restrictions out by doing connective tissue therapy/skin rolling. My former boyfriend/good friend has gone with me to physiotherapy a few times to learn internal so he has started trying it on me at home (free sessions!). I am feeling pretty good today - about a 1 level pain right now, sitting on my comfy office chair.

Gabapentin didn't do anything for me, but it seems to help other people a little bit. I've tried so many medicines and the only things that helped were methadone a lot, and Xanax a little (for muscle relaxation). I even tried a high dose of gabapentin and I felt no change.
5/11: burning in all areas innervated by PN; self-diagnosed PN
5/11: pelvic floor PT (PT #1) did not help after 2 sessions; she gave up
12/11: Kalinkin MRI doesn't show anything significant
12/11: Consult with Hibner; agreed with PN diagnosis, likely due to tight pelvic muscles
12/11 - 12/13: Tried 4 other pelvic PTs - tbh, they weren't great - no results
1/14 - 11/15: pelvic PT with PT #6 (better results, feel about 30% better after 2.5 years of PT)
Related conditions: MPS, S.I dysfunction
clo236

Post by clo236 »

Hi guys,

I am 100 percent going to get a physio appointment I found only one pelvic physio in Aberdeen but i dont know if they do internal work, about 2 years ago my hips were evaluated by just a 'regular' spine physio and they were fine. I'll have to book this physio after my exams finish so near the end of this month. If that doesnt work out id have to wait to the summer as this is when Id be home in Ireland and I found one that might be suitable there. I actually dont know whats wrong though, i tried going for a normal walk at a normal pace for half an hour and then later the pain flared up :(, it never used to do that even when I did have the nerve injury.

One thing I can think of is that Ive been studying alot on my bed as I have exams coming up so for the last 2 weeks or so Ive been reclining/lying down on my bed as obv I cant sit so Ive not been moving about alot and then I just decided to go for a walk.
It really got me down today though as it was good to get outside in the fresh air to clear my head and what is the other alternative lie on the sofa all day, im worried im going to turn into a big fat potato if I cant even go for a walk

Thanks Chlo xxx
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

clo236 wrote:
My pain seems to be mostly the right hand side of my perineum almost feels like it is connected to where my inner leg joins.
Same as what I had. Walking used to be an issue but not anymore. Still can't jog though. Good luck.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
clo236

Post by clo236 »

Oh no Violet do you think I have an entrapment then if my pain is in the same location as what yours was? :(
what did you do for exercise during that time, just short walks?
Im really kicking myself now as during the last 2 years I was getting better and i could feel my pain lessening but then over the summer just over a week of sitting without a cushion (I was stupidly embarrassed back then to use one with my friends and my pain wasn't that bad) it didn't even hurt the next day after the sitting episodes it was more like after the holiday so I wasn't to know but now I feel like its all my fault.

All the doctors I have met all said the same thing "sitting won't damage the nerve" and now look at me I cant even exercise.

Thanks, Chlo xxx
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

clo236 wrote:Oh no Violet do you think I have an entrapment then if my pain is in the same location as what yours was? :(
I don't know. I would not want to speculate just from reading your posts on the internet. Maybe you just have a tight pelvic floor so try not to stress too much over it. I think it's a really good idea to find a PT who can give you an evaluation but in the meantime avoid whatever causes a flare-up. Were you exercising a lot before your pain flared up?

So these doctors who tell you sitting can't cause nerve damage -- can they tell you what is causing your pain? Hopefully you can find a provider who can sort this out for you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Dusty_in_Hope

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

Hi Chlo

Thought I'd let you know that I've sent you a pm. (I sent one before but it got lost in the ether somewhere, so I'm just letting you know that there's one waiting for you - Can send again if my second pm to you gets lost as well.)
clo236

Post by clo236 »

Hi Violet,

I have something bad to admit and im ashamed and embarrassed to admit it but when this first happened I was 19 and it happened the day before my dad died so maybe my judgement was clouded. Ive never had any symptoms prior to that incident and would have avoided exercise like the plague. It was all down to rough rubbing by my boyfriend and it felt like a muscle spasm before I was about to finish, (sorry for the detail). At the time I was in so much agony and desperate need for someone to believe me and not fob it off as grief so I lied and said I fell onto a saddle of a bike but that it wasn't a major accident just a slight fall. That was the only way I could tell my mum that I was given medication in about 2 days. I assumed that my treatment options would be the same anyway as they recognised it was the pudendal nerve, but now im not so sure. Would my treatment options still be the same? Like how do I turn around now and say that actually it wasnt a fall? I personally myself dont think it is an entrapment but i do think the nerve is damaged.

Ive just realised that I think the flare ups from walking is due to the steep hill I live on as it only happens when Im at home in Ireland but the problem is if I even wanted to go on a walk Id have to walk home up the hill as Ive tried walking in Scotland because my anxiety was crippling over the exam period and was never in pain before or after.

Many Thanks,

Chloxxx
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Cho, I don't know, I mean...many people have vigorous sexual activity without ending up in chronic pain so maybe you can forgive yourself and focus on getting the right treatment. I think it might be important to be truthful with your health care provider so they can give you the proper care, but that doesn't mean anyone else needs to know. Here in the US your provider would not be allowed to share that information with anyone else and I would guess that is true in your country as well.

To your mom you could just say your doctor is strongly recommending you try physio and maybe she will loan you the money, at least for an evaluation, to see if you have any underlying musculoskeletal pathology. It's not typical for people to end up in chronic pain just from having vigorous sex so you have to wonder if there is some underlying pathology that's causing you to not be able to engage in normal activities without having pain.

Violet
clo236

Post by clo236 »

I don't know how id be able to do that though, I have an appointment with a pain consultant in march so I think i'll say that the pain started with sexual activity but what about this fall what do i do about that i dont know if i want it on my records that I lied. Surely they'll put the underlying cause down to nerve irritation. It could potentially be my muscles so I'll be ringing a physio in the next week. I dont know how it could be lets say entrapped between ligaments as previous sexual activity caused no pain. I got so caught up in that lie that I almost believed it myself.

Thanks,
Chlo xxx

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”