Gliding exercises

Accupuncture, Reiki, Cognitive Behavourial Therapy, Prolotheraphy, Radio Frequency, Hypnotherapy, Osteopathy and many more.
calluna

Gliding exercises

Post by calluna »

First of all - I am not at all sure that I have put this in the right place - so if it would be better elsewhere, Mods, please feel free to move it!

I have just been re-reading the information on the Home Page here - specifically the Lifestyle Changes section, and I've been reminded of something that puzzled me when I came across it before - gliding exercises, in the section OK exercises for PN.

Please can anyone tell me what this is? (I seem to have lost all my google-fu this evening - I shall blame the gabapentin!)
Faith

Re: Gliding exercises

Post by Faith »

I posted this question a month or two ago and never got any replies. Apparently no one knows what these gliding exercises are or at least the PN patients on this forum aren't doing them.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
calluna

Post by calluna »

Aha so I am not alone in being mystified, because I certainly don't know what they are.

Is there anyone at all who knows what these exercises are? Perhaps people who have had PT for this problem might know? - or people who have had decompression surgery?

Mods - can you help at all? - it is here in the information pages.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Dr Hibner did not specify gliding exercises in his post-op activity guidelines...and advocates PT after 8 weeks. My PT had me do them on occasion.

But Dr Antolak says the following in his 2006 paper: Observations on the Transgluteal Decompression of the Pudendal Nerve. Postoperative “gliding exercise”. The hip is flexed and rotated laterally and medially, twice, bilaterally. Exercise is repeated twice daily for one to two years.

There may be other variations out there...
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Thankyou RJR. Could you tell us exactly what your PT had you do?

I am really sorry to be dim but I don't understand what Dr Hibner's note means - I mean I understand what all the actual words mean, but I don't understand how that translates into an exercise that one actually could do.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

I would also like to know what gliding is. In addition, what is "nerve flossing?"

Thank you.

AM
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
RJR

Post by RJR »

Hello AM and calluna,
I will have to punt to a PT on describing any further, as I do not want to give out improper form. The Pudendal glide is a form of and under the category of Nerve flossing. I tried to find an example on Youtube, but only found non-Pudendal glides/flosses.
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
carlosmartinez1

Post by carlosmartinez1 »

I found this link. I don't know if the exercises shown are part of a nerve gliding program, neither how reliable is the source.

http://www.pudendo.it/congresso/ElizabethRummer.pdf
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Marianne had a great explanation of this on the old forum but I can't remember exactly how it is done. If you follow Dr. Antolak's instructions as posted by RJR I think that from a lying down position you bend your leg at the hip and knee so that your hip is flexed and then rotate your hip so that your knee and leg go away from the center of your body and then back the other way toward the center of your body. Isn't that what it sounds like?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Thankyou VioletM, that sounds as if it is right! I shall try these and see how I get on. Interestingly, this is one of the exercises that my husband has been given to help with facet joint pain.

Return to “OTHER THERAPIES”