Compensating for Not Sitting - Impacts

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
RJR

Compensating for Not Sitting - Impacts

Post by RJR »

Hello folks,

Recovering from TG surgery 7 weeks ago has been mostly filled with dealing with other orthopedic issues caused by PN, ie compensating for not being able to ergonomically sit at my office and home workstations last 2.5 years. Areas for me: neck, Left arm, knees. Also developed mild Acid Reflux from increased lying around after meals. None of these are show-stoppers for me, but in hindsight I should have been more preventive and creative.

Not a sermon, just some thoughts about secondary effects of PN.
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
Karyn

Re: Compensating for Not Sitting - Impacts

Post by Karyn »

Hi RJR,
In my opinion, this is an excellent post. I often think about the ortho issues as a result from PN(E), too. Not sitting properly (leaning, slouching, etc ...), the hip and leg pain from standing too much. I've heard of other patients developing knee problems, too. This conditions really blows. Do you ever get those cramps/muscle spasms in the back of your calves?
At 7 weeks out, is your PN pain any better?
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Hello Karyn,
Sure...had some cramping at the calves at times. I'd blame the bad economy on PN if I could!

The unspoken theme of my post is ortho issues can creep up on us...and present/express in ways that are subtle - then bam! Knee pain, and then standing becomes tough.

Because of the limitations imposed by PN, it is at the top of my list to fix...and with hopeful improvement, then begin to add in more stretches and exercises that strength and protect the various joints.

I'll post an 8-week update in ~ week. Overall doing OK...thanks for asking

Take care, and happy holidays
RR

Just delivered this morning - an Airgo Active Seat Cushion (two inflatable air bladders joined in the middle)...donstore's recommendation as a seating solution. Trying it out now.
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

I think anytime you make a radical change in your physical routine, it's bound to have repercussions. Think of a weekend gardening extravaganza. Think of starting a new job where you're on your feet all the time, and how that can lead to pain as you get used to it. Personally I think standing in place is more stressful on the body than walking; I've always read that shopping is so exhausting because of all the time you stand in one spot, looking through a rack or shelf, and then waiting in a line to pay. Well-fitting shoes are probably a key here, both for posture and to prevent plantar fasciitis with all the extra time on your feet.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
nyt

Post by nyt »

RJR, your post is very timely for me. Over the last 9 months this is an issue I have been giving a alot of thought to. I also have developed secondary problems from compensating on how I sit, leaning to one side, laying down, standing in one place, TMJ, etc. That was one of my driving factors to finally visit Dr. HIbner to talk about surgery because I am developing other problems that I know I can't correct because I keep having to compensate and some of the secondary problems, esp. my right shoulder blade and TMJ is getting so it is as bad and sometimes worse than the PN. This is an excellent point that we all need to consider when weighing surgery options.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”