Question about Potter MRI protocol used elsewhere

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Jeanne5

Question about Potter MRI protocol used elsewhere

Post by Jeanne5 »

Hi, I've been having continuous nerve pain in and on my vulva for four years now. I live in Washington State and my question is: if I get Potter's MRI protocol (and software?) and give it to a radiologist over here, would the less experienced radiologist (for pelvic pain) conduct the MRI exactly as Potter would? Has anyone had Potter MRI's elsewhere and was pleased with the results? Or better yet, in WA state? I plan to have a more experienced radiologist read it at a later date. Also, has anyone been under general anesthesia during the closed MRI, which I would have to do? Thank you so much in advance!

Jeanne
nyt

Re: Question about Potter MRI protocol used elsewhere

Post by nyt »

I do know that Dr. Potter shares her protocol but I do not know if she helps other physicians read them. Hopefully, someone else will be able to answer that question. I highly doubt they would do general anesthesia for an MRI as they are not set up for such things. They might be willing to give you some light sedation, maybe a little Versed but I don't think you will be able to get any doctor to go along with general anesthesia for an MRI nor do I think an insurance company would pay for it.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Jeanne, I've read mixed reviews of having the Potter protocol used elsewhere but I know it has been done. I think it depends on the skill of the radiologist.

I wonder if you might be able to avoid all-out general anesthesia by having sedation (such as versed) instead. I see nyt was typing that same suggestion.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

I am extremely claustrophobic when lying down, however, I can handle pelvic MRIs because the way they position the patient, the top of the head is a tiny bit outside the tube. That means you can tilt your neck up or sideways and your eyes will be essentially outside the tube. If you are on the taller side, your head may stick out even more.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Jeanne5

Post by Jeanne5 »

Thanks Violet, NYT and Stephanies for your information. I value your feedback. As far as the MRI machine, I have anxiety about other things (I won't ellaborate!), so I really need to be put out. I'm not overly concerned with how a different radiologist will read it, but will that person do it just like Potter would? I welcome more posts regarding my questions too. Thanks!

Jeanne

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”