how long can you sit for

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Karyn

Re: how long can you sit for

Post by Karyn »

Griff522 wrote:I never sit at home unless I'm in a recliner and technically I guess that isn't sitting. Sitting, no matter how long, is always painful for me.
That's me, too! And my recliner is specially outfitted with all kinds of special pillows and my thermi-pac. At work, I have what I guess most would call a cushy adjustable chair. I keep it at the very lowest setting (I'm practically sitting on the floor! :lol: ) so I can sit/lean forward as much as possible. I've got like a quarter of a butt cheek on it at a time. I do stand quite a bit at work, but there are times that I just can't.
Oh, and I LOVE my ICN Cushions, too!!!! :D I gave the 2" one to my husband (no pelvic pain but loves it!) and use the 3" one quite a bit. Honestly, I only get a few extra minutes of sitting outta it because I have that "sit bone" pain thing going on. No amount of cushiness seems to help with that. It feels like I'm sitting on sharp rocks and adding cushions is just like adding them under the rocks. Oh well! :roll:
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
pomegranate

Post by pomegranate »

I know I always say this, but...

I feel like the 2 inch soft IC cushion is worthless for us! I hardly even see much benefit from the 3 inch soft. I only really benefit from the 2 inch firm cushion. I'm petite too--about 110 lbs.
2008: mild pelvic pain and PFD began
2009: true PN/PFD pain, two PN blocks, normal PNMLT
2010: PT and conservative management with moderate improvement in PN/PFD symptoms
2011: surgery for extensive endometriosis; arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (right hip)
2012: C-section delivery of first child
2014: arthroscopic hip surgery to repair labral tear and FAI (left hip); C-section delivery of second child
Ongoing physical therapy since 2010 for both pelvic floor and hips.
donstore

Post by donstore »

I weigh 185 lbs. but found the 3 inch firm made my ischial tuberosities hurt. Liked the 2 inch firm better but finally settled on the 3 inch soft as my favorite. As I have posted on another thread, I have found the Airgo Active Seat Cushion (two inflatable air bladders joined in the middle) that I bought on Amazon ($100) great for leaning forward in a chair or siiting on a hard surface. I move around a lot at work (I am an x-ray tech) and it folds over fairly small and is quite portable.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”