Surgery update

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Violet M

Re: Surgery update

Post by Violet M »

Barb wrote: I have had a couple of days that my left side (opposite side from surgery) has really been angry......no nerve pain, thankfully, but it seems like the levator ani muscle, or piriformis or SI joint have really gone into overdrive......very painful. Did you have any trouble after your surgery on the opposite side from your surgery? I go to PT this week, so I hope she can pinpoint the exact problem.
Barb, it's hard to answer that because my surgery was bilateral -- although the pain was worse on one side than the other. Hopefully your PT will be able to help you with this. I found a TENS unit for 2 hours a day to be really helpful with piriformis muscle spasms so if you don't already have one, maybe you could ask the PT about it. My insurance paid for mine.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
mikette

Post by mikette »

hi everybody. do you know where exactly dr. aszmann receives the patient for the first evaluation?
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Mikette,
Dr Aszmann has an office in the Evangelisches Krankenhaus (hospital) in Vienna. I sent him my information from Dr. Potter before I went and I talked to him on the phone.

Hope this helps.
Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
velmartd

Post by velmartd »

Hi Barb,

I was wondering why you chose Dr. Aszmann, not sure if your in the states, or elsewhere...Where was your entrapment ? According to my MRN, my entrapment is at the
Ischial Spine on the left...I am so happy, for you that you are resuming your life, and this gives hope to all of us, and not to give up. Now you can start reliving life, and
get back to your family...Best of Luck - Thanks Velma
velmartd

Post by velmartd »

Hi Barb,

I was wondering why you chose Dr. Aszmann, not sure if your in the states, or elsewhere...Where was your entrapment ? According to my MRN, my entrapment is at the
Ischial Spine on the left...I am so happy, for you that you are resuming your life, and this gives hope to all of us, and not to give up. Now you can start reliving life, and
get back to your family...Best of Luck - Thanks Velma
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Velma,
I went to Dr. Aszmann because I thought I was having the anterior approach to release the nerve, and I felt that Dr. Aszmann had a better reputation than Dr. Dellon. My MRI showed entrapment at the dorsal nerve to the clitoris and the perineal branch, but as you can see the bigger issue was entrapment between the SS and ST ligaments. I am hoping the other areas will not give me a lot of problem, because I don't want anymore surgeries.

When the doctors told you were entrapped at the ischial spine, did they tell you anything else. Did they say anything about Alcock's canal? Have you decided on surgery or other things to manage your pain? It is a big decision. I wish you the best.

Take care.
Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
hopeman

Post by hopeman »

Hi Barb

I also had TG surgery by Aszmann six months ago. My TG surgery also expose piriformis and sciatic nerve. Did your TG surgery also expose piriformis and sciatic nerve. After six weeks of surgery, I have foot pain when standing and walking. Did your surgery also perform piriformis and sciatic nerve? Did you have foot pain for your right foot?
Barb

Post by Barb »

Hi Hopeman,
I do not know if my surgery exposed the piriformis and sciatic nerve. I would assume it did, but not sure. I do not have any foot pain. I am still struggling with gluteal fold pain and tenderness around the incision, I am also having problems with piriformis pain on opposite side from surgery.

This is definitely a roller coaster ride and some days are better than others. It takes a very long time for nerves to heal, so i wouldn't rush into another surgery until you have some time to heal.

I hope you have gotten information that will help with your concerns.

Regards,
Barb
hopeman

Post by hopeman »

Hi Barb

I had left side surgery. However, I have right side pain now. I do not know whether I should have blocks for the right side. Did you had left side pain now?Did you plan to have bGoodman

Hopeman
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Hope,

You should go back to Professor Aszmann and ask him to do the right side?I was the first patient from the USA to have the dorsal nerve surgery back in 2011.I encouraged him to start doing PN surgery and I am glad that he has started helping people.He is indeed a great surgeon.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011

Return to “SURGERY”