Relief through supplements

This is where we will make important announcements, accept offers of helpful tips from members, and a place for questions and discussion regarding website and forum operations and procedures.
Our Code of Conduct is also viewable here.
mary jane

Re: Relief through supplements

Post by mary jane »

I have had a lot of nerve "buzzing" that was cured by Magnesium....I know it was the magnesium because I tried to discontinue its use..but the buzzing returned...now I must take it every day or my body goes crazy again..it never helped the pain though...amitriptyline did
tiny bartholin infection triggered vulvar nerve pain.
Diagnosed vulvodynia Sept '13 (no burning but electric shocks, paresthesia, aching, buzzing)
Feb 14- Taking 50 mg Ami/Elavil
May 14-pain free with 50 mg Amitriptyline and 300 mg Pregabalin. Back to normal
Dec 15- weaned off all medication, pain free, wearing skinny jeans
April 17- pain returned, Amitriptyline 50 mg. Something doesn't make sense in my diagnosis.
Currently treating depression and anxiety
deBBieW

Post by deBBieW »

MaryJane,
My current PT is always suggesting magnesium, but I don't know what kind or how much to take, which is better etc. Did you get tested to see if you were really deficient in magnesium? Maybe it doesn't matter, guess I need to do more reading.
I don't have buzzing, but I have prickly sensations and burning. Probably add it to the list of something to try.
I'm on Turmeric (pure, high dose) and ALA supplements, no difference at all. Some of these supplements are expensive too.
PN is a money pit for sure.

Debbie
Vag pain, leg burning 3/11, SIJ inj 7/11, Pelvic PT, Chiro/acupuncture,
2-CT pudendal blks 11/2012, did help, less deep vag pain
Potter MRI 04/2012 - Scar tissue/thickening at SS/ST, scar in Alcock canal -bilateral,
Hibner 6/12 suggests Botox (didnt do), 8/12 more pelvic PT w/ dry needling
Gabapentin 1800 mg, Lyrica 200 mg, 5mg valium, vicodin as needed
Trying to get rid of central sensitization burning pain in my legs, Valium seems to be helping
Looking into more mindfulness options. . . . .
Dave

Post by Dave »

mary jane wrote:I have had a lot of nerve "buzzing" that was cured by Magnesium....I know it was the magnesium because I tried to discontinue its use..but the buzzing returned...now I must take it every day or my body goes crazy again..it never helped the pain though...amitriptyline did
Hi Mary Jane, how much Magnesium do you take and in what form? Citrate? Oxide?
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

Magnesia phosphorica is one of the supplements my herbalist put me on. Don't know if it is related to magnesium but I assume it is. Turmeric too. Something is working, I haven't felt this good in years.
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Excellent news, Elmwood! :P
Best,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
mary jane

Post by mary jane »

Dave wrote:
mary jane wrote:I have had a lot of nerve "buzzing" that was cured by Magnesium....I know it was the magnesium because I tried to discontinue its use..but the buzzing returned...now I must take it every day or my body goes crazy again..it never helped the pain though...amitriptyline did
Hi Mary Jane, how much Magnesium do you take and in what form? Citrate? Oxide?
hi Dave,
oxide works for me, which is suprising for me since I know it is the worst kind of magnesium out there, quality-wise.
I did try citrate once, didn't notice a difference.
The best magnesium supplements are Taurate and Malate if I'm not mistaken.

again, did not help pain, only helped the buzzing/vibrating/tingling feelings

Do bare in mind my facts: I still take amitriptyline 50 mg and lyrica 75 (weaning off) and am in my 20s and my nerve pain started as a reaction to a local infection.
tiny bartholin infection triggered vulvar nerve pain.
Diagnosed vulvodynia Sept '13 (no burning but electric shocks, paresthesia, aching, buzzing)
Feb 14- Taking 50 mg Ami/Elavil
May 14-pain free with 50 mg Amitriptyline and 300 mg Pregabalin. Back to normal
Dec 15- weaned off all medication, pain free, wearing skinny jeans
April 17- pain returned, Amitriptyline 50 mg. Something doesn't make sense in my diagnosis.
Currently treating depression and anxiety

Return to “ANNOUNCEMENTS & COMMUNITY”