Exercise Ball

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
neopeius

Exercise Ball

Post by neopeius »

Are Exercise Balls good to sit on? Or do they exacerbate the problem?

How about sitting Japanese style (on your shins) or Tailor-style (cross-legged)?
Violet M

Re: Exercise Ball

Post by Violet M »

It depends on what is causing your pain. If you have pudendal nerve entrapment it helps to avoid anything that might stretch the pudendal nerve but if your nerve isn't entrapped it might not matter so much.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi violet
Have read your post and wondered how you are now? When did you have surgery and was it bilateral and the TS approach? I had this surgery in Bristol 7 weeks ago and still in huge pain. I keep a pain managenent diary 10 being the most painful. Most days are 8 ish and I do have flare ups but trying to stay positive., what did you do to help recover? Last week I tried swimming just gently kicking using a float but was not painful. Pain came getting out of the pool!! If you have any advice I'd love to hear from you. I am on pregablin 600mgs per day and tramadol. Need to be on this for at least 6 months? Did you return to work and how did you cope? Sorry for all the questions just unique to hear from someone that has had surgery. Really hope you are recovering
Thanks
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Poppy, I had bilateral TIR surgery from Dr. Bautrant. It was very difficult for awhile after surgery because I had some new pain and the pain subsided very slowly over months/years. I took narcotics for 9 months after surgery and I rested a lot, avoiding whatever aggravated the pain. I didn't start any regular exercise until 5 months post-op and then the only thing I did was walk 5 minutes a day on a level surface and slowly worked up to walking longer distances. I also did sitz baths -- you can read my explanation here: http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =25&t=5267 It was hard to be inactive since I was so active before PN and I've always been athletic and fit. I think by being careful and allowing the nerve to heal it allowed me to eventually get back to being able to resume some exercise although I still have to be careful.

Yes, I returned to work -- 5 years after surgery. I could have comfortably returned to work before that -- maybe by 18 months post-op, but 3 years would have been better. I was a mom and wasn't working before PNE though.

How did I cope? I have hope beyond this life and that was all I had left to hold on to. Not saying it was easy and I shed many tears. Once I had a diagnosis then I was able to at least have some options to try and finding the PNE forum helped considerably -- to know that other people were going through the same thing and that many of them got better.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
BrendaJ

Post by BrendaJ »

Violet, Thank you for what you wrote about how you coped. I go to it frequently when I feel discouraged. Your words help.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

My heart goes out to all of you who are still in the struggle and pray you will get well as I have. How are you coping these days, Brenda?

Violet
greentree

Post by greentree »

When you sit on an exercise ball, your butt cheeks sink deeper, so there is more pressure from the ball to your coccyx, which then curves more and can cause more pain.
Patty

Post by Patty »

To me sittng on an exercise ball would be dangerous. If you slip off and land on your tail bone you will be in more pain. Just my humble opinion.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sitting on an exercise ball seems like a bad idea to me. It puts pressure right where you don't want it.

Dave

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”