EMG over nerve block for diagnosis

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
purdy

EMG over nerve block for diagnosis

Post by purdy »

I am having a nerve block done next week, subject to the consultant agreeing that this is best over medication or other forms of treatment. However, my symptoms are relatively mild, and also I understand that some consultants prefer to do an EMG as a diagnosis, whilst some prefer to do the nerve block. I am also restricted as to what medication i can take as I hold a medical with work that does not allow me to take any strong medicines etc.
I am also lead to believe that the EMG can give mixed results, as I found out when I was a given a probable diagnosis with Guillain Barre, which a later test showed was Transverse Myelitis.
I am interested to know other peoples reasoning over this please?
HerMajesty

Re: EMG over nerve block for diagnosis

Post by HerMajesty »

I had both, but one advantage of an EMG is that is provides objective data. There is a big problem in this field with simply beng believed. Even if your doctor believes you, your insurance company might not be willing to pay unless you assault them with large amounts of objective data. Nerve block diagnosisis is subjective, not objective: If the patient has temporary pain relief due to the anesthetic in the block, it is considered diagnostic. This will do NOTHING if you find yourself in an insurance battle.
The other advantage or disadvantage, depending on how you look at it: EMG will provide diagnostics and leave you as you were. Nerve blocks use a steroid and are a dual attempt at diagnosis and treatment. Mant people have adverse reactions, and get worse on a temporary or permanent basis from the block. many others get temporary or parmanent therapeutic help from the block. But a block is not a test alone, and so you assume greater chance of benefit AND greater chance of risk.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Re: EMG over nerve block for diagnosis

Post by Violet M »

Purdy, could transverse myelitis be what is causing your symptoms rather than PN? I had a very dear friend whom I met on a PN forum when she was first searching for answers. She thought she might have PN but in the end it turned out she had TM rather that PN.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”