Pudendal neuralgia- mesh-pelvic organ prolapse

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
helenlegs 11

Pudendal neuralgia- mesh-pelvic organ prolapse

Post by helenlegs 11 »

http://www.justicenewsflash.com/2013/06 ... 11438.html

This article begins

Historically the management of pudendal neuralgia was only available at a select few centers throughout the country. The reasons for this is that pudendal neuralgia was quite rare, often overlooked, and under diagnosed by the medical community. There are only a few doctors in this country who have received the advanced training in the management of this disorder. Even fewer have the advanced surgical training. A great number of physicians do not have a base understanding of the pudendal nerve and are unaware of pudendal neuralgia. In addition, because of the complexity of care in taking care of these patients is has been recognized that there may be a need to employ several specialties to manage an individual patient using a team approach. The team might include a urologist, gynecologist, neurosurgeons, neurologist, physiatrist, and physical therapist. Coordinating such a team is often logistically difficult and not economically possible. Current treatment consists of medication management, physical therapy, CT guided diagnostic and therapeutic injections, and surgical decompression with or without intraoperative monitoring of the main trunk or branches of the nerve.

Which I'm sure we all can relate to.
It goes on to say that POP surgery with mesh can cause severe complications and "In essence the FDA has determined that pelvic pain is an unacceptable postoperative outcome caused by the vaginal mesh."
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
calluna

Re: Pudendal neuralgia- mesh-pelvic organ prolapse

Post by calluna »

Oh yes.

In particular, I think it is interesting to note that this article states: It appears that full removal of the mesh is necessary to flush out the problems regarding ongoing pain in patients who have received mesh.

And yet so often it is impossible to remove the mesh, not completely... I still have a fair amount of mesh left which is not accessible, it is literally embedded in the pelvic floor.
nyt

Re: Pudendal neuralgia- mesh-pelvic organ prolapse

Post by nyt »

Hopefully, more attention to the complications from mesh will safe many others from growing through what those of us with mesh have. The author should have also pointed out that individual can have both obturator and pudendal neuropathy, such as myself. I am glad more attention is being paid to these post-op complications.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”