How does weight lifting affect the pudendal nerve?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Violet M

Re: How does weight lifting affect the pudendal nerve?

Post by Violet M »

Hey Mom. High fives -- I love to exercise too. :lol: I am back to doing The Firm exercise videos at home only I just use light weights. The videos I have are not terribly high impact so it's working well so far. It helps get your heart rate up and keeps you from getting too flabby.

There were times I looked back and thought how stupid I was to be doing some of the exercises I did before PN but I had no idea there was any such disease so I've quit beating myself up over it. You'll get better. Just be careful and once you get your life back, ease back into light exercise. And if it hurts, don't do it! :lol:

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

Thanks, I will check out.
Karyn wrote: I don't know where you live, or who you've seen about the TC's, but if you haven't seen one of the surgeons listed on the Tarlov Cyst Disease Foundation, you're not going to get very far, or get accurate information about your condition.
I presently live in India.
Karyn wrote:
srinmav wrote:"No, you should not have that kind of pain due to the cyst", is what I hear all the time.
I'm not surprised. I've been hearing the same thing too. Obviously, the people you've consulted with have no area of expertise with the TC's. They're really not even cysts. It's your nerve filled with cerebral spinal fluid, ballooning out of the nerve sleeve. This is a very serious medical condition. It's the same as Cauda Equina Syndrome, which is considered a medical emergency. It produces the same symptoms and the same nerves are affected. The only difference is; the compression is not caused by a buldging/herniated disk. Do you have any bladder and/or bowel dysfunction?
Yeah, I know it is no joke to have a tarlov cyst. No problems with the bladder. I have constipation and also painful bowel movements for several years.
Karyn wrote:
srinmav wrote:A surgery is indicated but my research says these surgeries have poor success rates.
You may want to do a little more research. I have a small library of peer reviewed literature, scientific articles, etc ... which state the contrary.

Kind regards,
Karyn
[/quote]

I may not be a right candidate for surgery even if every else turns out favourable. I have a few major illnesses other than the tarlov cyst and I do not really know what a surgery can do to me. Anyways, the choice is between the devil and the deep sea, whichever I choose.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

HerMajesty wrote:Hi srinmav,
One of the posts Karyn linked you to was regarding my tarlov cyst surgery, just want to let you know I am very thankful to have gotten it done. I don't know my final outcome yet because I am a year post-op and the biggest improvements are supposed to happen in year 2, and sometimes year 3. but I will say I was on 4 meds and now I am on two, was totally incapacitated and now I am working part time and able to do enough limited excercise without injuring myself that i have been taking off the weight gained from pre-op totally sedentary lifestyle and meds...But best of all, I am not constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop and some new interesting symptom to show up. The thing that waas so distressing about tarlov cyst disease is that after a period of stability, I started going downhill fast neurologically and I never knew what new problem woukd show up next. Some of the new symptoms that showed up toward the very end of my struggle before surgery, are still with me in a reduced form but never would have been there at all if i had gotten surgery in a more timely manner. Yes they did drill through my sacrum, and repaired it with a resorbable plate and screws. The pain from that and from the surgery was so minor that after I was out of the hospital I managed it with Aleve (Naproxen) and never even took the narcs.
It's different for everyone - some people struggle much more after surgery- BUT the alternative seems to be more and more symptoms creeping up on you over time as the compression of the nerves becomes more prolonged. Even if I don't get any better at all past today, at least I am confident i will not get worse and that is all that happened prior to surgery - a slide downhill which started slowly and picked up speed.
I felt nearly incapacitated between 2006-08 and had to give up work. I had many health problems and I thought I was not going to survive at that time. I thought I would go no where from there, but miraculously recovered in mid 2008 and could go back to work from home. I have to continued to work till now. I am hoping for the best knowing very well that I am not in charge of my life anymore. I dont want to look way ahead and I am taking this one day at a time. Surgery may be an dificult option for me as I have other serious health complications.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”