Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Griff522

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Griff522 »

Very interesting that both these "stars" were quickly diagnosed correctly.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
sarahlynne

Post by sarahlynne »

Hi Beverley and everyone else,

I'm new to the forum and am about to schedule labral repair and F.A.I. arthroscopic surgery with Dr. Struan Coleman at Hospital for Special Surgery. I am looking into having the procedure done in April of 2013. I would love to hear how you are doing Beverly currently after having surgery with Dr. Coleman. I am also having some issues with psoas which has thickened according to Dr. Coleman. He is not going to do a psoas release on me due to pretty high degree of femoral anteversion I have in my right hip but he wanted to shave done bone a bit to create more room for psoas as an extension of F.A.I repair. Does anyone know anything about this additional procedure. I am a 32 year old female and I have been struggling with pelvic floor dysfuction for several years now after injuring my hip. I've had bad pain sometimes during penetration on the side of vaginal opening where my affected hip is, I have trouble starting to urinate sometimes and also pee frequently. I tried pelvic floor PT and PT for my affected hip before going the route of surgery. Have those who have had this surgery done found a lot of relief of Pelvic floor symptoms after the healing time period post op? Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi Welcome sarahlynne,
I don't have any information for you with regard to your question as my hip involvement is only a knock on piriformis issue but I'm sure others will answer. Good luck with your future procedure.
I keep being amazed at how people DO manage to find a correct diagnosis and the right people to treat them, or has your been a story of getting no where for ages and internet research leading you to the correct people?
When reading back, you do mention suffering for several years :( . I suppose if you realised that it was your hip that was injured at the time that may have helped take you down the right route.
Anyway, glad you are here :)
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
beverley

Post by beverley »

HI all: it has been about 6 months since my surgery and i am pretty much cured. I am completely off elavil and have no pain -- except if i wear really tight jeans (which i gave up a while ago!! probably shouldn't have been wearing them anyway). I am grateful for this forum and hope others are also finding solutions to their pain.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
calluna

Post by calluna »

That's wonderful news beverley! This is what it is all about. :D

Do you think you could consider posting something in the Success Stories section? - knowing about your success would encourage others.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Thanks so much for such a positive post Beverly :) Good for you!
Take care
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

I'm so glad you are doing well Beverley! I am having my FAI and labral tear surgery on my right hip on Monday with Dr. Kelly. I can't believe after all this waiting it is finally here. I will keep you all posted.
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Thanks Jax and good luck for Monday.
Take care,
Helen
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hope all goes well for you on Monday, Jax. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Here is a paper about a correlation between hip instability (anterior hip glide) and labrum tears . http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2580726/
From what I gather this, solvable, ' anterior hip glide' problem, can be picked up by a competent physiotherapist Then there are also some corrective exercises that can be done to alleviate this problem.
This comes from the pelvic guru (thank you) who also makes a connection between pelvic pain and hip problems. She comments that if the hip has the anterior hip glide issue at one side, it follows that the glutes will not be firing on that side either. This then has the knock on effect (as many pelvic complaints do have, as we all know) of irritating the obturator internus and pelvic floor, giving a possible PN /hip connection.
Take a look here http://pelvicguru.com/

Here is how the problem can be fixed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1162hfVTE

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”