Psoas and Iliac muscle pain

Dr Thierry Vancaillie
Pafen

Psoas and Iliac muscle pain

Post by Pafen »

Does anyone also have symptoms of pain in their psoas and iliac muscles just above their hip? Just wondering if its also a possible area for the nerve irritation?
Allan.
helenlegs 11

Re: Psoas and Iliac muscle pain

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I don't have this Pafen but the answer is YES.
Take a look at this from the European guide to chronic pelvic pain 2012.

6.2 anatomy
When considering pelvic pain mechanisms, nerves associated with the pelvis/genitalia are generally divided
into thoraco-lumbar and sacral root afferents. The hypogastric plexus is mixed autonomic (sympathetic and
parasympathetic) and may contain afferents associated with pain.

6.2.1 The anterior groin nerves
The iliohypogastric nerve arises from L1 and its anterior branch supplies the skin above the pubis; its lateral
cutaneous branch is distributed to the anterolateral part of the buttock.
The ilioinguinal nerve is smaller than the iliohypogastric nerve; it also arises from L1 and is distributed to the
skin of the groin and mons pubis.
The genitofemoral nerve arises from L1 and L2. It passes through the psoas muscle, then down it to emerge
through the deep inguinal ring. Its genital branch supplies the cremaster muscle and a part of the anterior and
lateral scrotum. The femoral branch passes close to the external iliac artery, the deep circumflex iliac artery and
the femoral artery to be distributed to the upper part of the femoral triangle. The two branches of the femoral
branch may separate at any level, therefore, sensory phenomena associated with nerve damage depend upon
the level of the lesion and individual variability.
The lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh arises from L2 and L3 and eventually leaves the abdomen behind
or through the inguinal ligament at a variable distance medial to the anterior superior iliac spine. In the thigh,
it divides into an anterior branch that supplies the anterolateral skin of the thigh, approximately 10 cm down
from the inguinal ligament to the knee. The posterior branch supplies the skin more laterally from the greater
trochanter, down to the mid-thigh.
The obturator nerve arises from L2-L4, descends through the psoas muscle, runs around the pelvis in close
proximity to the obturator internus muscle and obturator vessels, and leaves the pelvis via the obturator
foramen. This nerve has significant motor innervation, and its cutaneous branch is distributed primarily to the
skin on the medial aspect of the knee.

This http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1234809-overview gives a more in depth description of nerves that could be involved. It is quite long.
www.duhs.edu.pk/.../lec9-sem2-locwk8-year1-20120618.doc gives additional pictures to determine where the nerves lie.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
janetm2

Re: Psoas and Iliac muscle pain

Post by janetm2 »

Pafen,
The psoas gives me plenty of pain pulling me out of whack sooth sides have been released as needeed by PT and my acupuncturist. Not positive but the illiac could be the thing pulling back there and in pain when my pelvis gets rotated or out of alignment. There are so many pieces and my PT is trying to strengthen my core to help alleviate the extra issues.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.

Return to “AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND”