Thanks

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Ruby

Thanks

Post by Ruby »

I thought it was time I made an appearance at least to say thank you for this wonderful forum, where I've gained much information and help.
Nobody has officially diagnosed me with PN, but I seem to have classic symptoms which developed after hysterectomy and TVT (so-called "bladder sling" surgery). Following advice I read here I stopped sitting altogether. This, along with a tiny dose of Gabapentin, has kept my pain level fairly low most of the time.
I finally found a surgeon who didn't dismiss my symptoms and completely removed the sling in October. I believe the mesh had entrapped my nerves; immediately after my first surgery I had excruciating, pulling pain which seemed to resolve over the course of weeks, but soon erupted into full-blown symptoms of what I believe to be PN.
I'm alternating between hope and resignation. Immediately after mesh removal the nerve pain was intense, which was to be expected as the impinged nerves were re-injured in the process of being freed. It's now 3 months after mesh removal and I'm barely back to pre-surgery levels of pain. I have started physiotherapy, and I feel cautiously hopeful it will help, especially as the damaged nerves begin to heal.
Of course reading all your stories makes me realize it's not so simple, and from mesh support sites I know that those who develop pudendal issues seem to have the poorest outcomes in terms of improvements in pain after mesh removal. It's a long journey I'm on now. Thanks again to all for posting your experiences for us to learn from.
Violet M

Re: Thanks

Post by Violet M »

Ruby, I'm sorry you are on this long journey with us. It can take many months for the nerves to calm down. I think I started noticing some significant improvements around the 9 month mark but it took longer than that before I could count on a good day. I know it seems like forever but hopefully one of these days you will be able to look back and realize that things are slowly improving. ;)

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
helenlegs 11

Re: Thanks

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good luck Ruby.
I hope that you make appreciable improvements from now as the nerves continue to heal. It does sound as if you have a good attitude to post surgical recovery and won't get too despondent when things don't calm down as soon as we all wish.
But we all wish you well :)
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”