Muscle cramps after nerve blocks?

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
blightcp

Muscle cramps after nerve blocks?

Post by blightcp »

As expected one week after the nerve blocks and extreme cramping in my hamstring every 3 hours is back.

Its soo bad that i may go to urgent care, but i hate having to rexplain everything to them.

Taking flexerall, mustard yes mustard, and using the tens to try to break them up.

Does anyone else get this after injections?
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
helenlegs 11

Re: Muscle cramps after nerve blocks?

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I would just go blightcp. Although if it were me it would wear off by the time I got there. I would imagine there is a muscle relaxant that may help and they would be the people to see urgently or would your Dr. be able to help?
Take care
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi blightcp,
Were your injections for PN blocks? Not sure why they would effect the backs of your legs. Have you discussed this horrible side effect with the person who administered your blocks?
blightcp wrote: Its soo bad that i may go to urgent care, but i hate having to rexplain everything to them.
Yes, I can certainly understand. Maybe you can ask your PM doctor about this before going to the ER.
I sincerely hope things settle down for you soon!
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Ive had 5-6 pudendal nerve block and this happens every time. Whaen i had 3 nerve blocks in a row this went on for tree months at night. Apparently the mendicine can seep down into the leg, and cause numbness and or muscle issues, it's temproarry as long as the whatever medication they used is active. The pain clinic was not suppreised but it kinda hard after the fact to get the point acrost how bad they can be.
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

I've had 5 nerve blocks done and each time I've had cramping muscles in the back of the legs and also in my feet. If you notice, they make sure you can walk OK before discharging you from the hospital after the procedure. This is because it can affect the legs. I think its because the pudendal nerve is close to the sciatic nerve so some of the injection can get caught up in that nerve as well. I've found that my cramping diminished over a couple of weeks and by week 3 was totally gone. You could try some valium to relax the muscles until it settles.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Blightcp and Budgie,
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Budgie wrote: I think its because the pudendal nerve is close to the sciatic nerve so some of the injection can get caught up in that nerve as well.
You may be on to something there ....
Has this been confirmed by anyone administering the injections?

After several weeks (months) of this posterior thigh/foot reaction, have either of you experienced any benefits from the blocks with your PN symptoms?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

As far as the idea with the siatic nreve that is correct PN can cause siatic pain, one way to fix that is massage of the siatic nerve as the body's guard reflex can stress the siatic nerve. It was fixed in a couple visits.

This is the first, 2 weeks ago, nerve block since the nerve was actually decompressed by surgery in may. But before that they did nothing, I'm hoping that now it might do something.
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

Karyn wrote:Blightcp and Budgie,
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Budgie wrote: I think its because the pudendal nerve is close to the sciatic nerve so some of the injection can get caught up in that nerve as well.
You may be on to something there ....
Has this been confirmed by anyone administering the injections?

After several weeks (months) of this posterior thigh/foot reaction, have either of you experienced any benefits from the blocks with your PN symptoms?
HI Karyn
I asked my physio about it when I saw him a few weeks after it first happened and he said that because the PN and Sciatic nerve are close together in the pelvis there can be some transfer of what is injected. It doesn't affect everyone but its nothing to be alarmed about if it does happen. As I said, it usually wears off and is nothing more really than irritating (and painful!). I found I got it more when lying down and suddenly I'd get intense leg and/or foot cramps.

As to whether I've experienced any improvement after the nerve blocks - I did have a huge pain flare up (nerve pain in urethra and perineum) for a couple of months after the last one (a CT guided one). I then went on to a new regimen of painkillers and started on morphine (now on 2 x 30mg timed release pd) and duloxetine (2 x 60mg pd). For the last month things have really improved and pain levels have been really low for the first time in years. However, I don't know whether this is down to the injections, the new meds or a combination of both. I even turned down a referral for CBT which had been suggested by my pain consultant as I didn't think I'd get the full benefit when not in much pain. I can, of course, still go for it if the pain increases again.

Hope this helps.

Neil
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Budgie wrote: For the last month things have really improved and pain levels have been really low for the first time in years. However, I don't know whether this is down to the injections, the new meds or a combination of both. I even turned down a referral for CBT which had been suggested by my pain consultant as I didn't think I'd get the full benefit when not in much pain. I can, of course, still go for it if the pain increases again.
Hope this continues for a very long time Neil, unless it gets even better :D
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Neil and blightcp,
I hope these most recent blocks are more helpful than they have been in the past. Best wishes!
I'm very glad to hear your new meds are helping, Neil! Are you tolerating the side effects well enough?
Kind regards,
Karyn

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”