Re-Do Surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
mesquite

Re-Do Surgery

Post by mesquite »

I am Dr. Hibner's patient and had the PNER surgery about 5 years ago with partial success. It resolved the vaginal burning but not the sitting pain in the left glute. I've been undergoing P.T. for 5 years and botox injections to help with the glute pain. But, this year, that pain has gotten worse and Dr. Hibner and Loretta, his P.T. (after 4 P.T. sessions) have advised me to have a re-do surgery. I am trying everything possible not to have that surgery. I am undergoing intensive Myofascial Physical Therapy right now but it is too early to feel any results.
Has anyone had a re-do surgery and if so, how do you feel, positively or negatively? If you felt better, how long did it take for the pain to resolve? I remember the first healing period was 6 weeks and full healing was 3 months.
If anyone has any other thoughts of things to try, I would like to hear them, also. I have tried everything I have read or hear about so far.
Faith

Re: Re-Do Surgery

Post by Faith »

Hi Mesquite,

I haven't had surgery with Hibner (though I've been offered it) so I can't really answer your questions. But I was wondering if you could share more about where exactly your sitting pain is in the left glute now? How is Dr. Hibner and Loretta sure that the pain is coming from the PN and not another nerve or even sacroiliac joint dysfunction? Have pudendal blocks taken away your pain now? Sounds like you are really trying everything you know to do, but my only advise would bre to really question Dr. Hibner and Loretta about why they think another surgery will resolve your pain and to make sure the PN is the pain generator. What type of myofascial work are you having done now? With a PT?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Faith wrote:my only advise would bre to really question Dr. Hibner and Loretta about why they think another surgery will resolve your pain and to make sure the PN is the pain generator
Agreed. Based on you pain description, Mesquite, it doesn't sound like PNE.
Best regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
n4061

Post by n4061 »

Re-do surgeries are tough to decide. I agree with the other posts to try and confirm other potnetial causes of your pain. My wife's PN problem is 80% betterbut we now find ourselves chasing Sacrol soft tissue nerve pain. Are they realted to the PN? We will never know. If Maria had not gone through the 4 surgeries I do not think she would be where she is today with the PN pain. Still have a long way to go but at least she can use the restroom without pain to the PN areas. I would suggest a second opinion by another PN surgeon prior to proceeding. Take care.

Return to “SURGERY”