Maybe another surgery

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
janetm2

Re: Maybe another surgery

Post by janetm2 »

Ellie,
Guess I can say so far so good but I still think I am not done recovering even though it has been a year. I was getting worse before the surgery working less hours down to 5 hours and only 4 days a week. I just started working 8 hours a day a few days and 6 or 7 the other days ( due to all my treatments -PT and acupuncture). I do hope to be a success. I am however so very sorry they did not figure out what you needed sooner and that you had to go through multiple surgeries we all know one is already too many. It is great of you to share you story in hopes of preventing others from the longer journey. Thanks,
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Karyn,
I don't know where you got the impression Dr. Chambi does not address pudendal nerve entrapment where the sacrospinous and sacrotuberous ligaments cross. Actually, he believes this is the most common site of entrapment. According to what I have read, he is correct. Paulette
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

paulette wrote:I don't know where you got the impression Dr. Chambi does not address pudendal nerve entrapment where the sacrospinous and sacrotuberous ligaments cross
As I mentioned in my previous post, I got that impression from our mutal friend, who sent Dr. Chambi his records and discussed this particular issue with him. Maybe our friend misunderstood?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Wow, I didn't understand the TG approach doesn't allow visualization of the PN under the piriformis! Perhaps that is why we have so many failed surgeries. So where exactly is Dr. Chambi's incision and is this a laproscopic surgery? can he just view from piriformis to posterior alcock's?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
river133

Post by river133 »

We have a 2 inch incision back by the hip and one small one on the side of the knee. The one on the side of the knee is so he can visualize the sciatic. Dr. Chambi checked the stregnth by my lifting my toes upward before and after surgery. He said there was a remarkable difference after surgery. The sciatic was also trapped against the bone of my pelvis. He mentioned 5 nerves .
He said :I believeyou will get better Ellie. Dr A just said this is not always the answer. I too believe that is the reason not many get well with tg approach. They just-can notnsee the whole picture. Nuersugeons can.
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Ellie, I'm so glad you are feeling better. This is great news!

I just wanted to mention that both Dr. Ansell and Dr. Robert are neurosurgeons who believe in the TG approach which doesn't access the area under the piriformis so I don't think it's a matter of whether you are a neurosurgeon as to which approach you use. Dr. Antolak learned his approach from Robert who is a neurosurgeon. But it's good to hear there is another doctor besides Dr. Filler and Dr. Possover who can deal with the area under the piriformis for those who need that area decompressed.

Paulette, do you have a link to Dr. Bautrant's website? I don't remember seeing those drawings you described. Thanks,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Bathsheba

Post by Bathsheba »

Ellie-

I am glad you are apparently being helped by Dr. Chambi. I personally think it makes a lot more sense to have surgery performed by a neurosurgeon who uses a microcope to see the nerves. I am shocked that the other PN surgeons don't use a micrsocope.

Please keep us posted on your recovery.

Bathsheba
Botched blowing up of bladder July/2011
Was on Lyrica 800+ Mg./day for over 2 years
Bad fall due to Lyrica dizziness, seizure
Due to low blood sugar, side effect of Lyrica
Now on gabapentin, OxyContin, tramadol
Looking for pain pump, has to be local
paulette

Post by paulette »

Violet,
The diagrams I was referring to and used by Beautrant, are on this website. He labels the piriformis muscle, and it is very high, next to where the sacral nerve roots merge to form the pudendal nerve. The ST ligament has been removed, so maybe if the surgeon actually cuts where the ligament attaches to the sacrum, he would see the piriformis muscle. But I can't imagine he would cut that high, especially when I consider where my incision starts.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”