Ultra Sound Treatments

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
nyt

Re: Ultra Sound Treatments

Post by nyt »

I'm going to ask my PT about it on Tuesday. I did purchase the machine on Amazon figure I'd give it a try. Like you, from the waist down I could use it. However, I really need something big time for my calves and right shoulder blade and I'm hoping even if I can only use it on those areas to help settle things down I'll be a happy camper. Can't use it on my adductors at all as US always flares them up big time. I'll let you know what my PT says.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Karyn, you are right it would take some time to work your way from the pelvis on down and it might be a bit of a trick to do this treatment on yourself on your back side! But if you can get it from your PT it might be very relaxing. The way my PT did it I think a small area covered approximately a 4 inch diameter and she moved around to different places.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

I saw a new Chiropractor last week who is going to try this on me. I'll let you know how it goes!
I desperately need something big time for my calves, too, NYT. Interesting about the adductors. I have adductor tendinosis and was hoping the US would be helpful.
Well, only one way to find out! By the way - after all the PT's, Orthopaedics, physiatrists I've seen over the years, this same Chiro informed me my entire pelvis is torqued.
Things are starting to make sense to me now, as far as pelvic area and lower extremities are concerned. He's not sure he can completely correct it, but is going to try.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
ezer

Post by ezer »

I have an ultrasound unit. The problem with it is that yes, it helps loosen up tight muscles but it also irritates the pudendal nerve at the same time. So by trial and error you can find a setting that helps temporarily but you may have a flare up a few hours later if you even slightly overdo it. Overall, it is not a miracle.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

ezer wrote:The problem with it is that yes, it helps loosen up tight muscles but it also irritates the pudendal nerve at the same time.
Thanks very much for the reply, Ezer. It wasn't my intention to use it around the course of the PN, but more around the (lateral) hips and lower extremities. Have you tried it in any of those areas?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Karyn,
For me the muscular tension is mostly in the upper part of the adductors close to the tendon and ischial tuberosity. Therefore, it is hard to avoid the pudendal nerve. But sure, if you intend to use it elsewhere, it is a good option and it is not that expensive. I bought my unit from a Canadian online health store.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

ezer wrote:For me the muscular tension is mostly in the upper part of the adductors close to the tendon and ischial tuberosity.
Yup! Having pain in both of those areas, I can certainly relate to where you're coming from. :(
ezer wrote:But sure, if you intend to use it elsewhere, it is a good option and it is not that expensive. I bought my unit from a Canadian online health store.
Thank you, Ezer. I'm gong to give it a try through my Chiro first, and then probably get one of my own. My main concern is my calf muscles. They're so painfully tight and I have those cramps, like when you stretch your legs out while you're sleeping, and then you get those screaming pain cramps? Only for me, they never go away. For now, I can't even stretch my calf muscles. The Chiro had me sit on his bench/table and asked me to lift my legs up, one at a time. The result of that was this ripping/tearing feeling from the plantar heel to the back of my calves. I believe this is where my plantar fascitis and tarsal tunnel are coming from.
So, after all that TMI, I'm hoping the ultrasound therapy will be helpful with that. From experience, I know EMS would not be. It would also be so nice to get some muscle/tendon relief in the rest of my legs, too! Thanks, Ezer - that was helpful!
Faith

Post by Faith »

Karyn,

Have you ever tried taking a rolling pin to your calves? My husband does this and it "hurts" but in a good way and if I do it every day it helps to keep the calf pain to a tolerable level. He has to press pretty firmly (sometimes it bruises me) and it makes nice "crunching" sounds :)
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Faith

Post by Faith »

nyt wrote: I did purchase the machine on Amazon figure I'd give it a try. Like you, from the waist down I could use it.
nyt, did you have any luck with the at home ultrasound machine?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Ginger11

Post by Ginger11 »

I have an home Ultrasound unit and have used it on various parts of my body with success. I love ultrasound when I get it at the PT but as a previous poster said, you have to be careful near the PN. I have swelling on my left side which is my affected side in the lower labia so she used it weekly for 4-5 weeks. I used my home unit 2x a day on low for 5 min for the first week and felt like it neither heped or hurt.

Then I used it on Med 5 min twice a day for the next week and felt like it helped until one session it made me feel worse so I stopped for now but probably will try again.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”