I'm back - things have changed (a little)

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
DannyB

I'm back - things have changed (a little)

Post by DannyB »

It's a while since my last post. I've just been trying to get on with life as best I can. However over the last few weeks I have noticed a change and I wondered if this was common/usual.

When I was last here my problem was predominantly my lower back (centre). Sitting for any period of time was really uncomfortable. That has improved (a little) - I still get it but not as often and not as severe.

However in it's place I seem to have a different problem. Once again it is caused by sitting. Now I get a discomfort in my buttocks - both butt cheeks. At first I thought it was some kind of pressure sore from sitting too long. But there is no sign of anything externally and I'm now beginning to wonder if this is something to do with nerve damage/entrapment. Standing eases it immediately - and sitting on a loo seat does not cause the discomfort.

Could this be associated with PNE? Could it in fact be the same problem - just manifested in a different way?

When I was last here I wasn't sure if my problems were as a result of PNE - I'm still not.

Does this (change) ring any bells with anyone?
Lernica

Re: I'm back - things have changed (a little)

Post by Lernica »

Your buttock muscles are seizing up as a result of some internal pain you are experiencing. Try to loosen the muscles up by stretching, massaging (a tennis ball against a wall is great) or taking a hot bath or shower. Also, consciously try to relax them.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
DannyB

Post by DannyB »

Normally I would agree with you - but if anything I would say my buttock muscles feel like they are wasting. In fact I had wondered if that might be what was causing the pain - ie lack of padding.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Danny, if you have some compression or even atrophy of your gluteal muscles, then that would eventually cause you pain on sitting. I know because I have pain from this as well as PN pain. Obviously continuous sitting compresses everything, reducing oxygen and blood supply to your buttock muscles, so you can also have this type of sit pain without having either PN or PNE. Lernica is right, first get a tennisball and massage the gluteal muscles. If when firmly rolling that ball you find points of pain in those muscles, then you have triggerpoints in them and a couple of rolls of a tennisball is just the start of learning to erase these TP's yourself, before they get too numerous. I can highly recommend the Triggerpoint Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies. Or have a few sessions done by a sports physio, etc. Once triggerpoints are dealt with, then you can start stretches and an exercise regime to get those muscles working efficiently.
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”