Do PN and PNE people have IC as well?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Violet M

Re: Do PN and PNE people have IC as well?

Post by Violet M »

I'm sorry it went so badly for you, Nicola. I think we've all seen our share of physicians who don't have a clue and it sounds like this one has no desire to really help you figure anything out. Wish you could get over to Dr. V.

What are you painting?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kia kaha

Post by kia kaha »

Violet M wrote:I'm sorry it went so badly for you, Nicola. I think we've all seen our share of physicians who don't have a clue and it sounds like this one has no desire to really help you figure anything out. Wish you could get over to Dr. V.

What are you painting?

Violet
Just a copy of a previous artwork I had done a few years back for a commissioned christmas pressie.
And I did get my surf in today, just squeezed into me wetti, and hubby took my board out I walked and got my first wave in on my tummy, first one in 360 days!
And second wave I stood up and got a few turns on, so was totally stoked, totally SORE NOW!!!
Chronic Pain pudendal area for 3 years, after a hard jolt to right side.
18 months later discovered sprained/fused sacro-illiac injury. Told to 'live with it' then saw this forum October 2011 = symptoms matched. Attempting to get this investigated in the face of lack of skilled docs in New Zealand.
Been told I have IC Dec 2011
FINALLY - 3T MRI in Christchurch 5th May 2012 - Pudendal nerve block, unguided 8th June 2012 - still waiting on results and progress from these.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

It's beautiful, Nicola! You are so talented.

Glad you were able to get out on your board -- sometimes it's worth the risk just to feel a bit of your old life again even for a short time. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kia kaha

Post by kia kaha »

well big mistake the christmas surf.

spent 5 hours in ED with a major new pain flare..
They readjusted my pain meds, which was in part a cause of the flare, them not being effective enough..
And my symptoms suggested a bladder infection.
I did a piddle sample which had blood and white cells in, but infection not confirmed, will have to wait for results..
So could have been from having catheter in for 12 days and only coming out 4 days prior with no extra antibiotics to support me.

The new pain flare is however a new symptom, which I guess I should put on my own thread.
but its bowel related, with left leg movement.. it just get crazier and crazier.
I really think I am possessed.
18 months later discovered sprained/fused sacro-illiac injury. Told to 'live with it' then saw this forum October 2011 = symptoms matched. Attempting to get this investigated in the face of lack of skilled docs in New Zealand.
FINALLY - 3T MRI in Christchurch 5th May 2012 - Pudendal nerve block, unguided 8th June 2012 - still waiting on results and progress from these.
Bathsheba

Post by Bathsheba »

Hi

My non-MD answer: I guess it's possible for someone to have both conditions, but I bet there are a lot of people with pudendal neuralgia who have been misdiagnosed with IC. There are no tests for interstitial cystitis. The diagnosis is arrived at by excluding other sources of urinary frequency and pelvic pain like "female problems," bladder infections, chronic appendicitis, cancer (colon, bladder), bladder stones, etc. If you have none of these problems, you may have IC. Or not.

I was misdiagnosed and my urologist put me under general anesthetic and blew up my bladder to much larger than its normal size not once but three times to teach a resident. Before this hydrodistention, I had what seems in retrospect a relatively mild case of PN (treatable with 100 mg tramadol every 4 hyrs), but this procedure ramped the damage to my pudendal nerve up a thousandfold (lots of breakthrough pain on a 75 mg. fentanyl patch).

Unfortunately, there are probably people over on the IC chat line who have PN and don't know it. What's more, I would guess their doctors don't even realize the potential for pudendal neuralgia to be the cause of their problems. My urologist said I had "suprapubic" pain on my paper work. He never used this word with me because I didn't have pain over my pubic bone but much farther up and nowhere near where a normal bladder is in a female. Not being a doctor, I had no idea a normal bladder in a female sits very low in the pelvis.

One good thing is that the American Urological Association (the people who board certify urologists) has come out and banned the use of this bladder blow up procedure to diagnose IC and has limited its use to cases where someone has already gotten a diagnosis of interstitial cystitis because of the presence of glomurations. I spoke with the public relations officer of the Interstitial Cystitis Association and she told me that urologists are not even asked any IC questions when they take the exams to get board certified.

Bathsheba
Botched blowing up of bladder July/2011
Was on Lyrica 800+ Mg./day for over 2 years
Bad fall due to Lyrica dizziness, seizure
Due to low blood sugar, side effect of Lyrica
Now on gabapentin, OxyContin, tramadol
Looking for pain pump, has to be local
kia kaha

Post by kia kaha »

Hi Bathsheba,

thanks for your reply.

Interesting to note that after being hyperdistended your PN symptoms ramed up greatly.

This is what happened to me.
My Uretha sphincter also decided to stop woring for 12 days.

Now it is under control.
I got a bladder infection from having the catheter in for 12 days, although I was actually on antibiotics while the catheter was in, turns out afer an ED presentation and urine test, the bacteria present was not affected by the antibiotic given,so have a new lot, almost finished, and feeling much better.

Although the surgeon has diagnosed me with IC, as I hemoraged with the hyperdistention, I do not have the frequency and urgency symptoms, aliong withh sensitivity with certain foods that classic IC has.

So I am just puttting the bladder pain down to a symptom of PN, even though I don't even have an official diagnosis of PN.
Still working on that.
kia kaha

Post by kia kaha »

today I had my follow up from the cystoscopy last year, and again he says i have IC, because my bladder hemorrhaged when they did the hyperdistention, and he showed me the photos.

But good thing is, my badgering of another doctor has resulted in a possible pudendal nerve block soon, have no Idea when, how etc.
beverley

Post by beverley »

I have had symptoms of mild IC off and on for years -- without knowing what it was. When the PNE/vulvadynia hit -- so did IC symptoms -- and really bad. I follow the IC diet and the did the relaxation and stretching that is recommended by PT Amy Stein for IC -- and the symptoms went away. When i had PT for pelvic floor disorder -- the PT said she didnt think i had real IC and that the only tightness i had "down there" were in muscles that cross the pudendal nerve. In other words, i have PNE not IC.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
kia kaha

Post by kia kaha »

Interesting my PT says my pelvic floor is good, and not even tight.
But any activity or exercise that stretches the pelvic floor exacerbates the pain in every area.

where would I find Amy Steins exercises?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Her book, Heal Pelvic Pain, is sold on Amazon.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”