Has anyone used a TENS machine?

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
kia kaha

Has anyone used a TENS machine?

Post by kia kaha »

My hubby just bought one, thinking it would be of benefit for me.
But the instructions give no indications for placements for Pudendal (I guess thats expected)
has anyone used one?
If so where do you put the electrodes?

So this is a TENS machine
http://www.medic2000.co.nz/tens3.htm
It is a battery powered pulse generator that sends electrical impulses, via electrode pads, to the body directed to reaching the nerves and underlying muscle group. Because this machine is a combination TENS and EMS stimulator it can be used for both muscle stimulation and pain relief.

The machine has two controllable output channels, each independent of each other. An electrode pad pair can be connected to each output channel. The intensity level is controlled by dials and read on the digital display. TENS EMS therapy is an internationally accepted drug free method of pain relief & injury recovery.
I've used it a few times, got some back pain relief but only lasted for ten mins after it stopped.

I heard that the pudendal nerve is too deep for these sorts of machines?
Chronic Pain pudendal area for 3 years, after a hard jolt to right side.
18 months later discovered sprained/fused sacro-illiac injury. Told to 'live with it' then saw this forum October 2011 = symptoms matched. Attempting to get this investigated in the face of lack of skilled docs in New Zealand.
Been told I have IC Dec 2011
FINALLY - 3T MRI in Christchurch 5th May 2012 - Pudendal nerve block, unguided 8th June 2012 - still waiting on results and progress from these.
calluna

Re: Has anyone used a TENS machine?

Post by calluna »

I have had a degree of help from TENS. When things are bad, any help at all is worth having, IMO at least.

I was fitted with one at my local pain clinic - the electrodes were placed with a 2 - 3" gap between them, one each either side of the spine, over the top part of the sacrum - the idea is that it they are located at the approx level where the pudendal nerve joins the spine.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

I used a TENS for years, the correct placement is on the inner side of the feet wither side of the ankle bone...it is not easy to mange there unless you have long leads...I used to use mine on my buttocks and it helped me get through many difficult times...however it only lasts so long.
Have you tried ice? place it on the buttock regions or in between your legs to help calm down the tingling etc.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
kia kaha

Post by kia kaha »

thank you for those annswers, I will give them both a go now, my leads should be long enough to do one lead to both sacral and one to both sides of (is it one ankle or both ankles)
Chronic Pain pudendal area for 3 years, after a hard jolt to right side.
18 months later discovered sprained/fused sacro-illiac injury. Told to 'live with it' then saw this forum October 2011 = symptoms matched. Attempting to get this investigated in the face of lack of skilled docs in New Zealand.
Been told I have IC Dec 2011
FINALLY - 3T MRI in Christchurch 5th May 2012 - Pudendal nerve block, unguided 8th June 2012 - still waiting on results and progress from these.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

My pts gave the same directions as Calluna stated.
Good luck
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

The ankle placement is dependant on whether your pain is bilateral or unilateral.
To this day even though I dont use a tens I feel such a strong sensation in both my ankle regions. It is definitely a trial and error in this case.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
MovinCA

Post by MovinCA »

Hi Everyone,

Kia, did you have success with the TENS machine? I hope it's working out well! :)

First off I have to say, I am so grateful for my physical therapist. She is amazing. Just used a TENS machine for the first time today at my physical therapy appointment. I've been having a flare (my worst flare so far) for the last 4 weeks, and today was really bad. My sacrum hurt so much that I didn't mind the usual perineal discomfort or the pinpoints of pain found when my physical therapist works internally along the path of the pudendal nerve and my pelvic floor. My appointment was an hour and a half long today. The tens machine seemed to provide some relief, although the release she did on my glutes and sacral area prior to the use of the TENS machine seemed just as helpful, if not better.

We will see how this week goes, hopefully the TENS machine will be of help to all those who need relief! :)
Fell on tailbone at the age of 10 (about 24 years ago) and sat differently ever since.
Diagnosed with PN in 2006.
Successfully manage symptoms and pain with physical therapy.
Experience painful flares periodically, often brought on by long car rides.
Successfully made it through pregnancy in 2012 and love being a mom!
Blog: http://walking4hopepn.blogspot.com
Donation Page (Fundraising Money Goes to HOPE): http://www.razoo.com/story/Walking4hopepn?referral_code=share
Twitter: @walking4hopepn
Daniela

Post by Daniela »

In the book by Isa Herrera, Ending female pain, the location of the TENS pads is shown, sacrum or buttocks or belly.... It's a wonderful book by the way....

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”