Marijuana

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Ray P.

Marijuana

Post by Ray P. »

I saw a new DR, and he says he wants me to try a strain of marijuana that does not get you high but helps with pain so he says.
I have tried so many things that seem to be much more powerful, and they did not work, so I am so skeptic about pot.
I also have smoked my share of pot in my younger years which turned into abuse of other drugs, so my sobriety means
a lot to me, and I don't really want to use the stuff again in any form; but if it would help and not get me high, I might try
it.
Has anybody else tried this type of pot????????

Ray
Griff522

Re: Marijuana

Post by Griff522 »

Ray, I had considered at one time trying pot for the pain. My 17 yr old son assures me it would take the pain away. But that teenage son and my 15 yr old daughter are the reason I haven't. Both of them have experimented quite a bit with it and my husband I have laid down the law that there will be no drug use. We drug test them and monitor them closely.

Did the dr tell you the name of the particular strain so you could research it?
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

He gave me a Md's name to go see that specializes in marijuana, and its use in health issues.
pn_person

Post by pn_person »

tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is he ingredient in pot that gets you high

never heard of any pot that does not have THC, and as far as I know, all the medical benefits from pot rely on what is basically the active ingredient, THC

so I wold be more than interested in a strain of pot that does not get you high, so with no THC, that has any medical use
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/rethink ... -high/3812

http://www.care2.com/causes/marijuana-t ... -high.html

Here are a couple off sites that take about a marijuana that works for pain and does not get you high.
Looks like it is not ready for humans yet through the conventional ways; maybe it is through one of those pot dispensaries?????????????????
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Ray P. wrote:http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/rethink ... -high/3812

http://www.care2.com/causes/marijuana-t ... -high.html

Here are a couple off sites that take about a marijuana that works for pain and does not get you high.
Looks like it is not ready for humans yet through the conventional ways; maybe it is through one of those pot dispensaries?????????????????
When I read those articles, I got the idea that an experiment showed the different ways that the THC binds to molecules in the to produce the high, and to provide pain relief. The thinking is that if they can mix it with "something" to block uptake by the molecule that has the receptor to cause the high, that they will have a new painkiller.

So, it looks like a starting point to more research, not really a new med at this time. Unfortunately.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

After reading the article more carefully, it looks like your right Celeste. That is all I came up with on my Google search.
I am wondering if anyone out there gets any relief from smoking pot for pain. I am told there are a lot
more strains of it out there and that is used for different things. Just would like to get some feedback from someone you
has tried pot for PNE.
I am not sure what the Doctor was talking about that wanted me to try it. It was a Doctor that was from my ins. company
that paid me a home visit.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Ray,

I tried marijuana butter every day for a couple of weeks last summer while living in a state where medical marijuana is legal. I was really disappointed in the results. It made me feel really out of it, without doing much for pain at all. I spread it on toast in the morning at first but as I did not like the way it made me feel during the day, I started taking it at night. It did make me sleep well, and the out of it feeling lasted all morning. Maybe it helps more if you smoke it, or use it in a vaporizer or water pipe.

Anyway, I am sorry to report the results were just not more positive as far as I was concerned.
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
donstore

Post by donstore »

As someone with decades of personal experience with marijuana, I would like to note that smoking allows one to control the dosage more precisely and produces an effect that lasts a few hours at most. Controlling the dosage allows one to achieve an effect that is lighter and more cerebral whereas oral consumption almost always seemed to produce a druggier dragged out feeling that lasted longer even into a hangover the next morning. The effects of different strains varies widely. The medicinal legalization on a state level here in California has finally allowed for some sytematic feedback from patients on the different strains and their effect. I would consult one of the larger dispensaries for advice (the Harborside Health Center in Oakland is the largest in the Bay Area). For some people, the high is either unpleasant or pain relief is ineffective. Others find the effect relaxing and many thousands of patients have found it be an effective pain and anxiety reliever. You obviously have to use it in a safe and sensible fashion (no driving or brain surgery) but I would compare it to Lyrica. You just have to try it and see if it works without unacceptable side effects.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
merrie

Post by merrie »

I have been wanting to try marijuana for pain - been suggested to me by several drs - but I'm worried about doing so while I'm also on opana and lyrica and I use suppositiries with gabapentin and ketamine. The drs can't really tell me how all these meds would mix although the medical marijuana dr i saw (dr frankel in los Angeles) said it would be fine. I have been too scared to try.

Merrie-
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”