What is your trigger?

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
DannyB

What is your trigger?

Post by DannyB »

I mentioned in another thread that I can have good periods - sometimes lasting several days. But then something 'triggers' a flare up which can last for hours or days.

One trigger for me is a visit to the cinema - presumably the seats.

I would be interested from hearing from anyone who has periods of good days but then flare ups.

What 'triggers' your flare-ups?
Bobby

Re: What is your trigger?

Post by Bobby »

Well I seem to have constant discomfort, specifically a feeling of an object in my urethra and my pelvic floor muscle always tensed and flexed, this starts off not to bad when I wake but then progressively gets worse throughout the day... I believe this has a lot to do with my pelvic floor mucsle and the fact that I can't seem to control myself from flexing it all the time and I am sure while I am sleeping it is relaxed. As for extreme pain, my diet has a lot to do with it as does sitting. Smoking, drinking, spicy foods, soda, ejaculation(rarely though as long as I follow my diet), weight lifting(which sucks), so basically everything I used to enjoy haha.

I do believe that my main problem is my pelvic floor mucsle... It flexes all the time due to entrapment, it is over working, damaging itself trying to... Do something... I haven't figured that part out yet.
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4792&p=35398#p35398
Read this post, it will likely explain everything.
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

I also experience periods of time where the pain is less and then HUGE flares of unbearable pain. My worst triggers can include:

Sitting
Squatting
Kneeling and leaning forward
Bending
Bowel movements
Sexual activity of any kind
Menstruation

Emily B.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Same as Emily basically: lifting, bending, squatting....which is what my life is consistently full of with two small children.
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Same as Emily.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
christi

Post by christi »

Sitting. Sitting. Sitting. If I sit for more than a few minutes, I can trigger pain that last s for days.
madjugar

Post by madjugar »

I really appreciate this discussion. It is so important to look at ourselves and see what we do have within our control to have some relief. I am very fortunate to have some periods of relief (pain down to 3's) and when I do, I am trying to watch what helps, what hurts, what starts it up again. God knows, I'll do just about anything or not do just about anything to keep the pain down!! The annoying thing for me is that I seldom feel an immediate response to my activities.. it is a couple hours to day later that the pain grabs me soo baaad. I have been learning to pay attention to even slight tighten up that I would usually ignore -- I have learned those are early warnings that this could hurt me later. My triggers are:

sitting on a hard surface, sitting on a COLD hard surface is even worse
lifting... I would rather lift using my back, than how we are usually advised to lift with our legs and abs, I know my back and it's limitations, and it recovers so much faster.
driving and working the clutch-- this is probably the worse, I need to get a different car
wearing shoes that are too narrow and not neutral to the ground (my second worse) I wear flip flops w/ soft spongy soles as much as I can, even in the winter w/ toed socks
walking down hill, walking on uneven ground that causes me to slip around or roll on gravel
bike riding or horse riding, recumbent bike for short periods is being experimented with
movements that are weight bearing with spread legs.. getting in and out of car, swinging leg over a fence to cross, up and down stairs without care
AND never never hula hoop again for me, shifting and gyrating my hips is over for this life time... this about killed me..

Still unsure if food is a factor for me.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I'm like a broken record with this one madjugar :) but I know you will love FITFLOPS . They are the only footwear I can wear and thankfully they do clog type shoes, sneaker styles and boots so my feet can be warm too. www.fitflop.com
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
madjugar

Post by madjugar »

thank you Helenleg for recommending the Fitflops. The description of gripping the toes when you walk seems to be what I need to reduce the pain! I am going to check them out right away!
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Honestly madjugar, the best thing about them is that the heels (well all of the soles tbh) are so squishy yet very supportive. They are supposed to tone your bum too. Happy days :) I would dread to think how un toned my bum would be without them ha ha! I look nowt like the lovelies in the ad's, Yet ??? luckily that's not why I need them so won't be demanding my money back, ever. I love them.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”