Intercourse after vaginal surgery?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
gracie

Re: Intercourse after vaginal surgery?

Post by gracie »

Hi Kathy,
You and I have already talked a little bit about this topic. I just wanted to comment on the advice you were given on having a drink before sex. I agree that drinking on meds is probably not for the best. However, I do not drink often, but occasionally I have had a drink in a social setting. I do know that my body does feel very relaxed when I do have a drink. I know there are many medications that do not mix well with medications, but the ones I have say that it will intensify the effects of the meds. Maybe that is why I get really relaxed. I think to try to have sex for the first time after surgery might not be a bad thing. Maybe you should talk to Dr. Conway about this. You could also just ask the pharmacist about the meds you take and the affect of having a drink. You don't really have to give the pharmacist your reason for asking.
Keeping you in my thoughts,
Gracie
PN Pain started 12/08
Numerous nerve blocks
Diagnosed 6/09 - Pudendal nerve blocks
TIR Surgery 2/10
Still have PN pain and still looking for cure
kat

Post by kat »

Thank you all for recommending I talk to my PT.

My OB wants me to just put my pinky finger up there and cover the inside with estrogen cream and continue putting estrogen cream on the opening as well.
My PT showed me WAY LESS painful ways to start working on those muscles with no pain.
I wish OB docs would recommend PT to women with vaginal surgery. My PT is doing things painlessly that are working WAY BETTER than what my OB told me.

Just a thought to you girls with vaginal surgery.
PTs have many tricks to work those muscles back to normal with no pain involved.

Good luck
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

kat wrote:I have lidocaine that I use on the labia. Are you saying there is a different lidocaine I can use internally?
Lidocaine gel can be used internally - vaginally but it's only 2% and requires a prescription. It helps a bit. The vaginal tissues absorb medication into the blood stream more readily than external skin does and you have to be careful about using too much lidocaine because it can affect your heart beat. So it wouldn't hurt to talk with your doc about this.
B&O vaginal suppository - What is that exactly? I'm very nervous to put meds in my vagina because I hear of so many ladies getting yeast infections from doing things like that.
Can a B&O suppository be used rectally like Valium suppositories?
B&O's are belladonna and opium -- yes they can be used rectally.

I think discussing how much alcohol consumption is safe with valium is a great question for your pharmacist. They are probably going to err on the side of caution in their answer -- mostly I was just suggesting caution.

It's great that you have a PT who is giving you some good tips and not being too aggressive with treatment. It's always a good idea to proceed slowly with people like us. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”